Timing belt replacement question.

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Nissfinder

Timing belt replacement question.

Postby Nissfinder » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:47 am

I’m going to tackle the timing belt job next weekend. I believe I have got all the components for a complete timing belt change job. This includes timing belt, tensioner and tensioner spring, water pump, front crankshaft and camshaft seals, bypass hose. I went ahead and got upper and lower radiator hoses and new serpentine belts, Thermostat, RTV high temp silicone gasket maker, some antifreeze.

First question: Is there anything I’m missing?

Second question: is there any way I can remove the timing belt without having to remove the AC coolant hose?? It’s basically right in front of the upper timing belt cover... I was thinking I can “shimmy†the cover around the AC hose?

THANK YOU FOR READING AND THE HELP!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:58 pm

You must have an early R50...around 96-97 I'm guessing? On the first couple of years of the R50, Nissan had the A/C pipe right in front of the timing belt cover (dumb design) and after a couple of years, they designed it so that it was out of the way. If you have the earlier style, the refrigerant has to be evacuated and then the A/C line needs to be disconnected and moved out of the way in order to get the timing belt cover off.

Nissfinder

Postby Nissfinder » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:03 pm

Yeah it’s an older model with a dumb design... 1998 I will call around for quotes to see how much they’ll evacuate my ac lines. Thank you for the reply!!!

Keephergoing

Postby Keephergoing » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:03 pm

Not necessarily. I think the standard practice is to gently lever it up out of the way. That was what was done on mine, but your car your risk.

Nissfinder

Postby Nissfinder » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:35 pm

Okay if you did yours with no damage to the AC hose then that gives me confidence in the job. Either way I will get it done, just removing all the Freon and replacing it is a bit more costly and I was trying to avoid those costs... I’m going to do the job next Sunday I will post the results. Thanks for the reply!! :mrgreen: [/u]

Keephergoing

Postby Keephergoing » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:15 pm

While I remember, if you have the original radiator you might want to swap it out. I put in a $90 denso one. The top pipe on the original literally crumbled away when I attached the upper hose. Still, at least it died empty in my garage.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”