Question about some noises coming from my exhaust.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

mickenzyjoela

Question about some noises coming from my exhaust.

Postby mickenzyjoela » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:35 am

Couple of days ago I noticed my car becoming louder and louder. It has previously done this when I was stopped and then started moving again, but nothing really after that. Now it’s just constant noise. Is it my exhaust or something within the engine itself? If anyone has any idea please let me know. I don’t know much about cars and I don’t want to take it into the shop and get charged a boatload for them to tell me it’s no big deal right now or anything like that.
Last edited by mickenzyjoela on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graham W

Postby Graham W » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:21 am

Most decent exhaust/tyre shops will check for you free and then quote a price for repair. Always worth a trip.

Ive often done that and then gone online and ordered the parts myself lol

weaver

Postby weaver » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:00 am

I second that advice. Sometimes the shop can even fix it cheaper than diy. Rare,yes, but worth a shot.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Question about some noises coming from my exhaust.

Postby NVSteve » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:44 pm

mickenzyjoela wrote:Couple of days ago I noticed my car becoming louder and louder. It has previously done this when I was stopped and then started moving again, but nothing really after that. Now it’s just constant noise. Is it my exhaust or something within the engine itself? If anyone has any idea please let me know. I don’t know much about cars and I don’t want to take it into the shop and get charged a boatload for them to tell me it’s no big deal right now or anything like that.
Could you clarify what it is that is becoming louder? Is it the engine noise? A rattle? Squealing sound? Squeaking sound?

I had a horrible squeak in the front that ended up being the hood. A few inches of electrical tape fixed that. I also had a few plastic triangle pieces come loose under the headliner that caused lots of rattle. I peeled back the headliner and glued those pieces back in place. The worst for me has been the exhaust rattling noises. I went through and replaced every single exhaust clamp because the old ones had broken, which caused the rattling at a certain RPM. My latest noise fix was a PITA because it sounded like exhaust rattle yet again, but all the clamps were new. I checked every square inch of the exhaust and finally discovered that a newly installed cat had a couple of corners broken from the heat shield. A couple of large plumbing clamps fixed that.

I agree with everyone else-take it to an exhaust shop. If they say they found the problem, have them show you, not simply tell you.

harolderz

Postby harolderz » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:56 pm

I think it is from the engine itself. I also had the same problem before.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”