Possible bad u-joint?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nikko7mge

Possible bad u-joint?

Postby nikko7mge » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:35 am

I have an 05 LE 2WD. When backing up, I can hear the rear u-joint squeak. I have vibration on acceleration above 40 MPH. Can the u-joint be bad, even though there is no play/movement when checked at the driveshaft?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Possible bad u-joint?

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:09 pm

nikko7mge wrote:I have an 05 LE 2WD. When backing up, I can hear the rear u-joint squeak. I have vibration on acceleration above 40 MPH. Can the u-joint be bad, even though there is no play/movement when checked at the driveshaft?
Yes, it can be that there is not enough grease inside the joints and the bearings are rusty, but have not broken, yet, which would create the play in the joint. U-joint failure is not uncommon on the R51. The OE joints are Spicer, which you can get on the aftermarket with or without grease fittings. Moog is very popular and also has the grease fitting options.

nikko7mge

Postby nikko7mge » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Thanks for the info. Turns out that's what is was. A few hours and a sore back later, it's running smooth again.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”