Right trailer lights not working

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

cqe5009

Right trailer lights not working

Postby cqe5009 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:19 pm

I have a 2011 Pathfinder that I've had for about 2 months now. I recently swapped the factory 4 pin connector for a 7 pin connector, and tested my trailer lights tonight. All lights work, except I have no right running lights and no right turn signal on the trailer. After reading some old threads, I checked as many fuses as I could find and also looked for the secret 2 fuses under the dash for the BCM. All fuses look ok and I don't seem to have the secret fuses under the dash.

Under the hood I see a "Trail Turn RH" and "Trail Turn LH" relay. Do these relays control the trailer turn signal only, or do they also control the running lights?

Is there any other fuses on a 2011 that control only the right hand trailer lights?

The lights on this trailer worked fine last year when towing with a GMC Yukon.

Graham W

Postby Graham W » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:33 am

The BCM fuse box is the square box in front the firewall, on UK trucks its the passenger side.

Have you checked the earths? Often i found after a winter the connections needed a good clean and was usually my trailer connection which had a dodgy earth despite using electrical vasaline type gell on the wires to keep the damp out.

cqe5009

Postby cqe5009 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:02 pm

Fixed the issue. I took the trailer to work to hook up to a friend's truck, and somehow the right hand turn function started working after I got there. After looking at the bulb some more, it wasn't in the socket evenly. Everything was rusty, so I replaced the entire light on the trailer and now working as it should.

Return to “R51 Electrical”