Auto repair broken nipple on radiator

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Pearsaab

Auto repair broken nipple on radiator

Postby Pearsaab » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:39 am

I have 2000 pathfinder with 120k miles. Had some belts changed so they had to remove hose from radiator. It took about 2 weeks but nipple next to radiator cap broke off and auto places says it is because the car is 19 years old and radiator was brittle. Never mentioned when they did the work of any issues. They said they shouldn’t have to worry about hitting a part and having it break. They said they will do replacement but will never work on my car again. Not that I want them to but am I being unreasonable in thinking they should fix it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:49 am

Yes, I would say you are. One of the disadvantages of plastic-tanked radiators is that they do become brittle over time and being exposed to constant heat cycling. Many of the R51 Pathfinders have issues with the plastic heater pipe union breaking in a similar way. Many years ago, my parents' 1992 Stanza developed a crack at the top tank of the radiator (also plastic) that started leaking coolant which required replacement of the radiator assembly. These things happen and it's not always the mechanics fault; the radiator is, after all, nearly 20-years old! These things can happen on vehicles that old. Now, if he was replacing the belts and a wrench slipped and caused a puncture in the aluminum radiator core, that would be something that the shop should be responsible for.

Pearsaab

Postby Pearsaab » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:33 am

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”