The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Alternator Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R52 Electrical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
officerelmore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: 2014 Nissan Pathfinder Alternator Replacement Reply with quote

My wife's alternator went out recently and I'm trying to replace it. The problem is I've never done it on a front wheel drive vehicle. I'm used to the alternator being right there at the front with easy access. This one is on the passenger side and I can't see a way to get to it. Any help would be appreciated.
Grumpah

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is... why aren't you having that done under warranty?
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it should be covered under the 3-yr/36000 mile warranty, unless you do a lot of driving! The job is probably going to be tough to do if you don't have a lift to work on.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
dougdornbos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternator on my son & daughter-in-law's 2014 went out. I was stunned that the price quote from my regular mechanic was $850. His estimator book puts the time for this job at 5.5 hours. He works on almost any brand and even he was blown away. I went to the dealer for a second quote and they were at $950 for an aftermarket alternator or $975 with the original Nissan part. I decided to let my regular guy do the job based on how I was treated at the dealer plus the $100 savings. My regular mechanic buys most of his parts from Advance Auto Parts who offer a lifetime warranty on the alternator itself and a 2-year warranty on the labour. FYI.
Grumpah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. Thanks for posting the info.
underworld1001

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougdornbos wrote:
The alternator on my son & daughter-in-law's 2014 went out. I was stunned that the price quote from my regular mechanic was $850. His estimator book puts the time for this job at 5.5 hours. He works on almost any brand and even he was blown away. I went to the dealer for a second quote and they were at $950 for an aftermarket alternator or $975 with the original Nissan part. I decided to let my regular guy do the job based on how I was treated at the dealer plus the $100 savings. My regular mechanic buys most of his parts from Advance Auto Parts who offer a lifetime warranty on the alternator itself and a 2-year warranty on the labour. FYI.

That's interesting. When I went to the dealer and asked about installing an aftermarket part on my vehicle they stated they can only install OEM Nissan parts as per Nissan's policy. Aftermarket wouldn't be accepted because they couldn't guarantee their quality and testing of the part. Not sure how true this is, but it is surprising. Glad you got it fixed at the independent shop + the savings.
2011 SV V6 - BF Goodrich KO2 LT265/75 17-C, StopTech slotted rotors (934.42044), AEM DryFlow drop-in air filter (28-20286), free air box mod, Xtreme Truck Performance IMS (http://extremetruckperformance.com/?page_id=6), Bilstein 4600's (F-24-197427 / R-24-197434), Moog springs (F-81280 / R-81119 ), CSF aluminum radiator (7029)
dougdornbos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternator in my son's 2014 was ruined because there was a broken plastic fitting apparently where the oil dipstick tube goes into the block which allowed oil to splatter out and covered the alternator and ultimately destroyed it. I did NOT see it so I am living off the mechanic's description to me. FYI
dougdornbos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougdornbos wrote:
The alternator in my son's 2014 was ruined because there was a broken plastic fitting apparently where the oil dipstick tube goes into the block which allowed oil to splatter out and covered the alternator and ultimately destroyed it. I did NOT see it so I am living off the mechanic's description to me. FYI

It was the plastic piece on the dipstick itself. If he would have replaced the dipstick, his alternator would likely still be fine. Apparently, under braking, the oil in the engine gets to a spot where it can be splattered out of the dipstick hole if the plastic stopper piece is missing at the top of the dipstick. A costly error.

Also noteworthy, my earlier comment about the warranty was innaccurate, the alternator my mechanic put in was sourced from O'Reilly Auto Parts and he was told that it had a lifetime parts and labour warranty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R52 Electrical All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: