Second time timing chain tensioners? Or even third...

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

HydroMike

Second time timing chain tensioners? Or even third...

Postby HydroMike » Thu May 09, 2019 10:10 am

Hi there,

About two months ago I bought a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. I had both the radiator and timing chains and tensioners replaced as these commonly cause problems. The engine produced a whining noise which disappeared after replacement. Now, after 4000 miles slowly but surely the whining noise is returning. A faulty belt tensioner has been replaced but did not cause the noise. Everything else seems to be working fine. So my question, could it be the timing chain tensioners again? If yes, how would it be possible after 4000 miles? FYI the sound first started on a cold start only. Any help is appreciated!

Regards,
Michael
Last edited by HydroMike on Fri May 31, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri May 10, 2019 10:48 am

You "shouldn't" have the same issue as with the original chains if you just replacement...assuming everything was properly installed. I bought my Pathfinder with 84k. miles and had the chains replaced, previously, and had to repair it because the primary tensioner bolt broke. I assumed it was over-tightened, but who knows? However, the result wasn't a whining noise, but a loud rattle as the primary chain slapped against the guides. If you used aftermarket parts, perhaps there was an issue with them? I haven't heard of any problems with them, so far, but something to consider. Could the whine be from the water pump, possibly? You could also remove the serpentine belt and start the engine to confirm that the noise is actually coming from the engine, or not. Since the water pump is chain driven, that will still turn.

HydroMike

Postby HydroMike » Fri May 31, 2019 5:51 pm

Thanks for your response! I'm afraid the story continues. A short while after posting this message the primary timing chain tensioner broke causing a tapping noise. I had it towed to a garage where they replaced the primary timing chain and tensioners. I asked them to have a look at the secondary timing chains and tensioners but these appeared to be in good shape. So weren't replaced. After the repair the whine slowly disappeared. Not immediately thought. However, 2000 miles later the whining noise is back again. Same location and same sound only louder. It sounds like secondary timing chain tensioners. But, how can it be that the noise has disappeared and returned? If it where the tensioner the noise would be there all the time right? Also might it be something else causing the timing chains to wear out prematurely? If yes, what could it be? The car performs as it should, doesn't overheat, no oil usage etc. It does have a SES code P0430 for the catalytic converter. Which is an aftermarket one. Could it have anything to do with the whine?

Video of the whine:
https://youtu.be/cZmnJ-QnbEE

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:48 am

Definitely sounds like upper timing chain whine. How's the oil pressure?

HydroMike

Postby HydroMike » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:22 pm

Oil pressure seems to be ok. I've never seen the gage go down pr had the light come on. I've also replaced oil every 3 to 4000 miles and it has an original Nissan filter. Could it be something internal that's causing more friction that wears out the timing chains quicker?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:26 pm

I only ask about the oil pressure because there have been some occurrences of oil galley cover gasket failures on the rear timing cover that have caused low oil pressure. Fortunately for you, you have an actual oil pressure gauge and not the "dummy" gauge that started a year later. So, if the oil pressure is good, I'm not sure what to tell you. I hate to see you have to pull the front timing cover off to check out what's going on, but that may be your option. Before I would do that, I would remove the serpentine belt and start it up to make sure the noise is still present and not caused by something on the belt drive system. It doesn't sound like it but better to be sure and it has to come off, anyway.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”