help with vibration, rough engine start

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Phiakong

help with vibration, rough engine start

Postby Phiakong » Sat May 18, 2019 6:34 am

Hello everyone,
OK...Its been awhile since Ive been on here so I hope this is the right thread to post this. If not please lmk so I can post in the right thread. Ive searched a lot and there are so many solution but I think this one is slightly different

I started to get this excessive front end vibration. In the past I have had a vibration problem I replaced one of the U joints and the problem was solved.

Of course it only happens at 50 mph as speed rises the vibration gets even worse. I checked the front wheels suspensions and control arms and tie rods...etc. I found that the passenger outer tie rod was done for. So I replaced it and same result. shakes like hell when up to speed. when I let off gas still shakes.. truck has 170k I've only replaced one U joint is it possible other U joints are bad? I have went under the truck to rock the shaft and to inspect the U joints and nothing...looks intact to me..

Then lately my truck been having a rough start I mean it starts but kind of stutter before it starts right up when the engine is cold. when its warm it doesn't do that. I just replaced all six spark plugs, old ones look like crap. thinking that it will fix the problem but nope. I do have a Service engine light on, code is I believe P0430. possible bad ignition coil? how do you troubleshoot that?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat May 18, 2019 5:46 pm

The vibration "could" be the other U-joint, even if there is no play (it could be rusted and binding up). Out of balance wheels, bent wheels and/or bad tires can also cause this. You could try rotating the tires front to rear to see if the vibration changes at all or goes away. If so, have the wheels balanced.
Another thing that can cause vibration is if the radiator's trans cooler fails and contaminates the ATF with engine coolant. Look for signs of white streaks or a strawberry custard-like substance on the AT dipstick, as well as signs of oil mixed in with the coolant.

Rough start can be caused by a number of things. A bad crank position sensor can do this and not necessarily trigger a code. A bad coil is a possibility, but without a code to identify which one, it makes it hard to diagnose without an oscilloscope. I used to run into that problem a lot with the VE30DE engine used in the 1992-1994 Maxima SE "back in the day." Nissan tech hotline would have us replace one bank of coil packs to see if it would fix it and then, if not, would tell us to replace the other bank of coil packs. A leaking fuel injector or excessively high or low fuel pressure can also cause this. If one of the old spark plugs looked particularly worse than the other five, then I would concentrate on that specific cylinder.

Phiakong

Postby Phiakong » Sun May 19, 2019 7:18 pm

smj999smj wrote:The vibration "could" be the other U-joint, even if there is no play (it could be rusted and binding up). Out of balance wheels, bent wheels and/or bad tires can also cause this. You could try rotating the tires front to rear to see if the vibration changes at all or goes away. If so, have the wheels balanced.
Another thing that can cause vibration is if the radiator's trans cooler fails and contaminates the ATF with engine coolant. Look for signs of white streaks or a strawberry custard-like substance on the AT dipstick, as well as signs of oil mixed in with the coolant.

Rough start can be caused by a number of things. A bad crank position sensor can do this and not necessarily trigger a code. A bad coil is a possibility, but without a code to identify which one, it makes it hard to diagnose without an oscilloscope. I used to run into that problem a lot with the VE30DE engine used in the 1992-1994 Maxima SE "back in the day." Nissan tech hotline would have us replace one bank of coil packs to see if it would fix it and then, if not, would tell us to replace the other bank of coil packs. A leaking fuel injector or excessively high or low fuel pressure can also cause this. If one of the old spark plugs looked particularly worse than the other five, then I would concentrate on that specific cylinder.

Thanks i think i found partial of the problem.

The other day i jacked up my truck and found out there were some play on the passenger wheel. took off the wheel and found out my tie rod end was shocked and i replaced and thought it would do the trick but nope. Then i decided to do the same on the driver side and same but it wasnt the tie rod, it was the hub assembly bearing that went bad. Replaced the hub assembly which was not cheap. after all that the truck still shakes at high speed....i guess now...im thinking either U joints or maybe tires are not balanced..I really dont wanna throw in anymore money...I mean holy crap....did everything just took a dump on me....I had to replace two new rear shocks also because they literally blew up..well at least the driver side did.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”