Clunking front drivers side....thoughts?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

krieg17

Clunking front drivers side....thoughts?

Postby krieg17 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi all, hope all is well. Figured i'd throw this out there to see if anyone has any opinions on it.

Issue: Clunking over bumps on front drivers side. Started when i slammed my wheel into a pole backing out. Also steering left and right really quickly you can hear a clunk. Take wheel off and do that...can't hear the clunk.

What mechanic did according to receipt. Bent inner tie rod, rack and pinion, remove and replace steering gear, outer tie rod.

When i got it back, it was fixed but that clunk sound was there, took it back they denied any wrong doing and said everything's fine and that my bearings need replaced. Which i'm sure they did, but i figured they fucked up the job or didn't tighten something down. Cause that happens about 98% of the time with assface mechanics.

What's been done: Bearings replaced...clunk still present. Also inspected tie rods and sway bar links...all look good and are tight. Struts need replaced, but don't see anything loose on them.

Sorry for the long post, any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated!

:lol:

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:20 pm

Not sure what year or what your mileage is, but you might want to pick up some OEM sway bar bushings. They're pretty cheap. I think I paid less than $20 for both. Super easy to put on yourself if you have a breaker bar. Not saying this is the issue, but it would eliminate a potential problem point.

krieg17

Postby krieg17 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi Underworld,

Thanks for the reply. It's a 2003 with 180k. I'm in the midst of replacing a lot of stuff. Bought new front sway links, struts and inner and outer tie rods. Think I'm going to replace all that as all the parts are old and need it whether it's the problem or not sooner or later. Then see if it's still there, which it probably will be.

Seems to be something more with steering is loose, loose enough it clunks over bumps, and clunks when you shimmy the wheel back and fourth quickly.

krieg17

Postby krieg17 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:07 am

FYI for anybody who may have similar symptoms and could use a place to start with this same problem. It was inner tie rod on driver side. Unbolted outer tie rod and the inner one was a wet noodle, totally shot. Changed both sides, inner and outer (even though other side wasn't needed) and got an alignment. Problem solved.

I think the tell tale sign for this was not so much the clunk over bumps, as that could be a litany of things from bushings, to sway links to struts.....but if while parked you quickly rock the steering wheel back and fourth. You hear a clunk when doing this and it's a good chance it's your inner tie rod.

Peace
Last edited by krieg17 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:24 am

Thanks for the update!!!

Thats sure to be helpful to others! :D

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”