Noise from left rear wheel area

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

sidecar

Noise from left rear wheel area

Postby sidecar » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi guys. Haven't been on here in a while, but I need to ask a question. My 2009 Pathfinder has recently (a week or so) started to make a weird clicking, grinding sound when not under acceleration or braking at all speeds. The sound gets worse on right hand turns. I replaced the brake pads about 3 weeks ago, but I don't think that it's part of the problem. Any ideas what I should check that could be doing this? Thanks for the read.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:14 pm

It's hard to say without hearing it, but what comes to mind initially would be front wheel bearings or CV joint(s) on one of the front axle shafts. Usually the CV joints don't fail unless the boot has ripped and let dirt into it. Front wheel bearing typically make a "roaring" noise when they go bad, but it's worth checking for play to be sure.

sidecar

Postby sidecar » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:07 am

Thanks for the quick response, smj999smj. I'll have a look

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:44 pm

sidecar wrote:Thanks for the quick response, smj999smj. I'll have a look
I just noticed you said "rear" wheel. So, the rear still uses a wheel bearing hub, like the front. I recently replaced one on my 2008. The hub of the rear rotor houses the brake shoes used for the emergency brake, so you might also try depressing and releasing the emergency brake a few times and see if it changes the noise any. If it does, you may have to pull the rotor off for inspection.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”