Suspension REBUILD

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Thupertrooper

Re: Better Alignment

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon May 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Code Pathfinder wrote:Went to a local 4x4 shop to get this thing aligned.

The tech got it pretty close to spec but the tires wont wear down as fast anymore.

Here are the new results:

They ended up replacing one of my Rear camber bolts as the threads were stripped pretty bad. didn't charge me a dime for the cam bolt either :D

I went ahead and ordered the super pro suspensions Rear UCA offset bushings. That will hopefully free up some adjust ability camber wise in the rear.

Only thing left to replace is the front uppers. Going with freedom off roads tubular control arms for $320
Do you have the link for the adjustable bushings?

Also on UCA people use the SPC equivalent from Rockauto. Just make sure which ever kind you get that they are greasable.

*edit*. The Rockauto brand is Mevotech. Rebranded SPC UCAs

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:19 am

So I got my new upper control arms in the other day.

They are from freedom off road.

Paid around $340 for the two of them

Out of all the suspension bolts I’ve had to deal with, the upper control arm bolts were the easiest! No rust on any of them what so ever. I ordered SPC replacement bolts but only ended up using 1 of them. (The one I used replaced the bolt that was stuck behind the steering shaft)

I’ll post pics tonight when I get home from work.

cstreet

Postby cstreet » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Code Pathfinder wrote:So I got my new upper control arms in the other day.

They are from freedom off road.

Paid around $340 for the two of them

Out of all the suspension bolts I’ve had to deal with, the upper control arm bolts were the easiest! No rust on any of them what so ever. I ordered SPC replacement bolts but only ended up using 1 of them. (The one I used replaced the bolt that was stuck behind the steering shaft)

I’ll post pics tonight when I get home from work.
Are you replacing the UCA bushings with offset bushings on your new control arms? I am having my 2 inch lift installed as I type this but the shop cant get the original bushings out of the original control arms OR the replacement control arms I bought in order to install the new UCA bushings. Any ideas??

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Are we talking upper control arms in the front or rear

The front upper control arms I bought didn’t need offset bushings.

The rear upper control arms will need the offset bushings if any of your alignment bolts are seized in the rear.

Never ended up needed the offset bushings due to rebuilding my front and rear suspension.

cstreet

Postby cstreet » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Code Pathfinder wrote:Are we talking upper control arms in the front or rear

The front upper control arms I bought didn’t need offset bushings.

The rear upper control arms will need the offset bushings if any of your alignment bolts are seized in the rear.

Never ended up needed the offset bushings due to rebuilding my front and rear suspension.
Sorry. Talking about the rear. I gathered that I would need the offset bushings based on what I've read on this forum, but the shop can't get the bushings removed from wither set of rear UCAs. At this point, I don't know what to do. Help!!

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:40 pm

It seems odd to me that they can’t get the old bushings out of the rear upper control arms.

Do they have them physically removed from the suv or are they still bolted in and can’t get the bolts out?

The bushings I mentioned earlier in this thread DO NOT work for North American model pathfinders. They work for Australian pathfinders only (They have a different frame than the NA version does).

If they can’t get the bushings out of the old ones then you have a couple of options:

1. Order new control arms with bushings and have them replaced with North American pathfinder offset bushings from super pro.

2. Leave it as is and have them align it the best they can.

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:43 pm

The rebuild I did to my pathfinder was not cheap either.

In total it was probably just north of $3000 to replace the front and rear suspension.

After replacing all of those components including the alignment bolts, It was able to be aligned properly by a 4x4 shop with a laser alignment rack.

cstreet

Postby cstreet » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:53 pm

Code Pathfinder wrote:It seems odd to me that they can’t get the old bushings out of the rear upper control arms.

Do they have them physically removed from the suv or are they still bolted in and can’t get the bolts out?

The bushings I mentioned earlier in this thread DO NOT work for North American model pathfinders. They work for Australian pathfinders only (They have a different frame than the NA version does).

If they can’t get the bushings out of the old ones then you have a couple of options:

1. Order new control arms with bushings and have them replaced with North American pathfinder offset bushings from super pro.

2. Leave it as is and have them align it the best they can.
The bushings I bought can be found here...

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-22756999-rea ... hings.html

The new control arms are nothing special, just standard replacements made by Dorman I think? I really don't want to have them put it back together without replacing the bushings as I'm pretty sure the alignment will be off and I don't want to screw up my tires. But I don't know what to tell them to help get the bushings out of the control arms.

Can I buy control arms WITHOUT bushings preinstalled??

Code Pathfinder

Postby Code Pathfinder » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:35 pm

All rear upper control arms come with pre installed bushings.

They should just be able to use a press or you could do it by renting a bushing press at autozone or O Reilly’s.

The rear uppers don’t control camber as much because they don’t have a cam bolt to move them. They rely on 2 non adjustable bolts hence the reason the offset bushings are used. If you run out of adjustment on the bottom then you either set the offset bushing to pull or push the control arm out or in.

It’s the 2 lower control arms in the rear that affect your alignment the most.

The lower control arm that houses the coil spring controls your toe in or out using a cam bolt.

The lower control arm that is connected to your rear knuckle has 1 camber bolt and one regular bolt. That one camber bolt is all the adjustment you have for camber in the rear without offset bushings on the uppers.

Did you replace any of the rear lower control arms as well or just the uppers.

The offset bushings IMO aren’t necessary IF you replaced those other components.

Also what kind of shop did you bring your pathfinder to?

As I’ve found out over the years, it’s better to go to a shop that specializes in lifted trucks and off road SUVs. Their equipment and machines can handle our rigs a lot better than most small shops and dealerships.

cstreet

Postby cstreet » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:12 pm

Code Pathfinder wrote:All rear upper control arms come with pre installed bushings.

They should just be able to use a press or you could do it by renting a bushing press at autozone or O Reilly’s.

The rear uppers don’t control camber as much because they don’t have a cam bolt to move them. They rely on 2 non adjustable bolts hence the reason the offset bushings are used. If you run out of adjustment on the bottom then you either set the offset bushing to pull or push the control arm out or in.

It’s the 2 lower control arms in the rear that affect your alignment the most.

The lower control arm that houses the coil spring controls your toe in or out using a cam bolt.

The lower control arm that is connected to your rear knuckle has 1 camber bolt and one regular bolt. That one camber bolt is all the adjustment you have for camber in the rear without offset bushings on the uppers.

Did you replace any of the rear lower control arms as well or just the uppers.

The offset bushings IMO aren’t necessary IF you replaced those other components.

Also what kind of shop did you bring your pathfinder to?

As I’ve found out over the years, it’s better to go to a shop that specializes in lifted trucks and off road SUVs. Their equipment and machines can handle our rigs a lot better than most small shops and dealerships.
That's great info. Thanks!

I only replaced the rear springs with Armada rears, the rear shocks with Rancho rear shocks and the rear upper control arms. Based on that, do you think I will need to offset bushings?

Thanks again

Code Pathfinder

The Rebuild Continues

Postby Code Pathfinder » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:30 pm

forgot to add those UCA pictures so here they are :D

Drivers Side

Passengers Side

Also today, I installed new rear coil springs from AC DELCO. They are not armada springs (decided to just skip those for now).

Here they are installed as well

Finally im dealing with a nail in my tire but thats getting plugged tomorrow morning

A SURPRISE IS COMING SOON. STAY POSTED :twisted:

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:15 am

sorry to resurrect an old post but what was the surprise?

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:34 pm

I think he is working on it still.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”