The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Power issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevenoskoskavi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Power issue Reply with quote

Howdy all! Here to pick some brains. I have a 2004 Pathfinder 4wd 3.5 V6 with some power issues. Under full throttle conditions the acceleration is slow and seems to hesitate. If I back off to around 50% throttle, it picks up much better. Also, after driving and shutting the vehicle off, When I start it again it doesn’t not fire immediately and acts like it’s missing. Once it does start, It will sit there and idle rough for about 8 to 10 seconds and then the idle will bump up and smooth out. On very rare occasions, It will lose power and not want to accelerate at all. Fuel filter and cam position sensor has been replaced. No codes pertaining to ignition faults. Fuel pump seems in working order but I have not tested the pressure. Any information would be more than welcomed. Thank you!!

-Steve
Heavy hitter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like possibly a mag issue. Try cleaning it with maf cleaner. You don’t possibly have a high flow oilable air filter on there do you?
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be oil in one or more of the spark plug wells, creating a misfire between the tube and the coil boot. It could be a failing coiling, which don't always trigger codes, or badly worn spark plugs. It could also be a a bad fuel injector or low fuel pressure.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
Stevenoskoskavi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spark plugs and valve cover gaskets were changed about 1500 miles ago. Problem still persists. I do have a K&N air filter which I put in after the plug and gasket change. I will give the MAF a good cleaning and test fuel pressure and see what she’s doing. Thanks for the Info gents!! I will keep you posted!
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve cover gaskets won't keep oil from going into the spark plugs wells; that's controlled by the spark plug tube seals. So, unless you replaced the valve covers, themselves, you can't completely rule out the possibility of oil leaking into the well unless you pull the coil packs out. Another possibility is a fuel injector leaking down, which could cause a hard start and foul a plug, which would burn off as you drive it. A fuel pressure leakdown test would confirm that. A bad crank position sensor would also affect startability and could creat misfire issues. So, it may not be just one problem and you may have to do some diagnostic work to figure out what problem, or problems, exist. Cleaning the MAF is a good start. Make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. Check for any potential air leaks, like splits in the rubber intake duct or split/disconnected vacuum hoses. Check the fuel pressure. Keep in mind you have more than one cam sensor. Also, a ignition coil pack could be failing and may not be triggering a code, which could create the symptoms you have.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
Stevenoskoskavi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll give that a go as well. The battery connections are good although I tend to clean the negative terminal quite a bit. It corrodes. A lot. The Interweb is telling me that’s an indicator of an undercharging system. Checked that and was producing around 14.1v so I’m thinkin the battery might be going bad. I’ll run through it but will probably let her ride as funds are tight. Still runs good for not running a 100%!
palmerwmd
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the K&N filter come prior to the loss of power?
Nissan MAFS hate K&N filters as they dont tolerate the oil that always seems to come off them

2012 V6 4WD, in Grey over Grey
Stevenoskoskavi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K&N came after. This thing has had a power issue since I bought it. The issue has not worsened. The only time there was an improvement was when the fuel filter was replaced. I’m going to pull the fuel pump this weekend and check out the tank and screen. I’ll be sure to smoke a cigarette when doing so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: