Transmission leak from driveshaft flange

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Transmission leak from driveshaft flange

Postby disallow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:06 pm

So, speaking of leaks, I also found this:

This is right where the rear propshaft slides into the transmission. Not a significant leak (yet). But definitely want to take care of it...

Anybody have any experience with this? From what I can see, its called the transmission extension housing seal, and the part costs about $5. Labor wise, it looks like about 2-3 hours. I've never done one of these, so I will probably be bringing it in.

Thoughts? Pinging SMJ! :)

Thanks
t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:33 am

It's not an uncommon leak, since the fluid is always being pushed rearward as your driving. Since you have 4-wheel drive, it's not a transmission extension housing seal, rather, it's a "transfer case output shaft seal." It's really not that hard to replace, either. If you can pull a driveshaft out, then you can do this job. The seal "caps" on the rear extension of the transfer case. So, to remove, you remove the driveshaft and knock the seal off the end of the transfer case using a hammer and chisel or drift pin. The new seal likely won't have that dust boot shown in the picture. Lubricate the seal with some fresh transmission fluid or petroleum jelly. Tap the new seal on the end of the transfer case using a rubber mallet or plastic hammer. Install the driveshaft and check/top-off as needed the transfer case fluid, which is ATF. You'll need a 10MM hex socket for the fill plug and a fluid transfer pump will make the filling process a lot easier, if needed. If you want to replace the fill plug crush washer, it's Nissan 11026-4N200 and the fill plug torque spec is 25 ft/lb.

The seal is Nissan 33140-7S110, which MSRP's for $26. Aftermarket equivalent would be National 710917.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:38 am

Unbelievable the expertise and detailed answers from smj every time!
:D

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”