Bilstein 5100 all around

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Goliat6288

Bilstein 5100 all around

Postby Goliat6288 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:54 pm

hey guys
ive been looking into my suspension all around on my 2007 Pathfinder. and ive been looking at the bilstein 5100s. has anybody used bilstein 5100 all around?

ive been looking at this one in particular

https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-Shock-N ... 143&sr=1-2

if i were to install these in the pathfinder what else would i need? would i i need to change springs at all?

edit: oh and anyone know if they give to pathfinder a lift and how much if it does?

thank you

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:01 pm

First of all, the kit you linked to is for an Xterra. While the front suspensions are very similar, the rear suspensions are totally different. Xterra's have a solid axle with leaf springs and the R51 has an independent rear suspension with coil springs and CV shafts.

The front struts you are referring to are adjustable and are meant to be used with stock springs; they can provide no lift (or "stock height") up to a 2" lift. Bilstein has rear shocks for the R51 that will "accommodate" a 2" lift, but they do not provide the lift. That would have to be done by using either coil spacers and/or different coil springs.

As you increase the rear lift on our Pathy's rear suspension, it gets harder to get the camber alignment in spec. For that, offset control arm bushings are available.

Goliat6288

Postby Goliat6288 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:18 am

thank for the response smj.

im guessing the frontier has the same type of rear suspension as the Xterra? i was going to link the frontier one but same the leaf springs and knew that wasnt for the R51.

as far as the rear coil springs, is that why ive seen a couple of people on this site use the armada springs?

and the last part about the offset control arms, is that the UCA every keeps writing about thats available on Rockauto?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:27 pm

Goliat6288 wrote:thank for the response smj.

im guessing the frontier has the same type of rear suspension as the Xterra? i was going to link the frontier one but same the leaf springs and knew that wasnt for the R51.

as far as the rear coil springs, is that why ive seen a couple of people on this site use the armada springs?

and the last part about the offset control arms, is that the UCA every keeps writing about thats available on Rockauto?
Armada springs will raise the rear as will a number of aftermarket springs made specifically to lift the R51 rear suspension.

Yes, the Xterra and Frontier both have leaf spring rears.

Rockauto sells stock control arms. For offset bushings, one needs to purchase the offset control arms bushings, remove the control arm, press out the old bushing and press in the offset adjustable bushings:

For North American R51 Pathfinders, you can get them here:

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-22756999-rea ... hings.html

Goliat6288

Postby Goliat6288 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:00 am

any suggestions on which aftermarkets ones i could use?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:44 pm

There are plenty of threads of suspension lifts you can search through under this heading that will tell you the pros and cons of each. You may want to visit 4x4parts.com. They've always specialized in Nissan off-road parts, although they do offer parts for other manufacturers, as well. I've heard they can be very helpful, as well, if you contact them with any questions. Personally, I'm not into the "lift scene," so there are others here that may be more helpful to you for answering those questions than me.

Goliat6288

Postby Goliat6288 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:34 pm

ok cool. thank you very much and youve been plenty helpful.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”