New Struts/Shocks

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

OMRebels

New Struts/Shocks

Postby OMRebels » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:32 pm

I just recently put new BFG A/T 265/60/R18 on my 2012 LE. They look amazing. While the wheels were off I noticed I need need new shocks and struts. I've seen posts recommending OME's and Ranchos. I'd like maybe a 1" lift but nothing too aggressive. Mainly want to upgrade my handling on highway and street.

Thanks in advance.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:21 pm

If you are looking to upgrade your handling on the highway and street, the last thing you should be doing is lifting the vehicle because it raises your center of gravity. Also, you should have gone with highway tread, all-season tires rather than all-terrain tires, if that was your goal. Now, if you are looking to go off-road, all-terrain tires and a mild lift make sense!

OMRebels

Postby OMRebels » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:55 am

Thank you for the reply. I guess I should have stated I wanted the A/T's for snow, rain. For the first two days or so the tires have been really quiet and smooth.

What type of shocks/struts do you recommend? Do I go with original manufacture, or is there and upgrade by going with Rancho's or OMEs? I'd like to add a spacer to give it a 1inch lift. I'm a newbie with all of this if you couldn't tell already.

Also looking to replace break pads and any recommendations on those would be helpful as well.

Thank you

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Well, it's a little too late, now, but Kumho Crugen HT51 tires are an all-season, highway tread tires and are Three-peak Mountain Snowflake branded, meaning they have passed a series of tests and are considered severe-snow service rated. They also have a long treadlife rating and excellent wet and dry traction rating, are quite and have a good ride. Plus, they are not expensive!

Rancho shocks and struts are often mentioned because their quick-strut front strut assemblies are height-adjustable and can raise the front 1 to 2.5". The also have a tuning knob on them to adjust the dampening. Some people like them and some don't; it's a matter of personal preference. Some say they ride a bit too hard, even in the lower settings, especially those who do more highway driving than off-road. OME is a good brand but probably better suited for those going with more than a 1" lift and those who do go off-road.

If you are doing most all of your driving on highways and paved roads, the factory front struts are actually pretty good, which are made by KYB and are the same as the KYB GR-2/Excel-G strut. I prefer to go with strut assembly because it makes it a lot easier to install plus everything on the strut is brand new. For those, Moog and KYB are good choices. KYB right now has a rebate promotion going on. There are also those who prefer Bilstein, which is a very good, monotube option. The 4600's are a popular choice and maybe a little firmer than stock; I use these on the rear of my 2006 LE with a set of AirLift 1000 air bags, which has been a long-time, popular mod to help with the bottoming-out and sagging of the factory rear suspension. KYB Gas-a-just rear shocks are also a montube shock and are very good. A stock shock should be able to handle a 1" lift, but more than that and you'll need to get a shock that can handle the extended travel, like the Rancho or Bilstein 5100 series. Make sure you get a wheel alignment after your lift!

As far as brakes, it would probably help if I knew if you had the V6 or V8? If you like the stock brake feel, Akebono Pro ACT ceramics, Wagner OEX and ThermoQuiet, Raybestos Element 3 and Advanced Technology, Advics and Beck-Arnley are all solid choices. Hitachi makes most of the OE pads on the R51 and Akebono has been a long-time supplier of brakes to Nissan.

If you want a better performing brake, it would be best to replace the stock rotors with better parts, as well. Power Stop and EBC have options. If you have the V6, you can upgrade to the 1" larger front brakes of the V8 by replacing the front brake calipers w/ mount bracket, pads and rotors with those for the 05-12 V8 Pathfinder. Stainless steel braided brake hoses will help a little, as well.

Krymdog

Rear Moogs and Bilsteins

Postby Krymdog » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:26 am

I did it. I love it. I, of course, had to replace control arms, but that was to be expected.

I ended up with what may be a half- to one-inch 'lift', but I think that is because it hasn't settled and because the stock everything was shot, at least in the rear.

I haven't taken a look at the fronts, but have no issues.

OMRebels

Re:

Postby OMRebels » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:03 pm

smj999smj wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:53 pm
Well, it's a little too late, now, but Kumho Crugen HT51 tires are an all-season, highway tread tires and are Three-peak Mountain Snowflake branded, meaning they have passed a series of tests and are considered severe-snow service rated. They also have a long treadlife rating and excellent wet and dry traction rating, are quite and have a good ride. Plus, they are not expensive!

Rancho shocks and struts are often mentioned because their quick-strut front strut assemblies are height-adjustable and can raise the front 1 to 2.5". The also have a tuning knob on them to adjust the dampening. Some people like them and some don't; it's a matter of personal preference. Some say they ride a bit too hard, even in the lower settings, especially those who do more highway driving than off-road. OME is a good brand but probably better suited for those going with more than a 1" lift and those who do go off-road.

If you are doing most all of your driving on highways and paved roads, the factory front struts are actually pretty good, which are made by KYB and are the same as the KYB GR-2/Excel-G strut. I prefer to go with strut assembly because it makes it a lot easier to install plus everything on the strut is brand new. For those, Moog and KYB are good choices. KYB right now has a rebate promotion going on. There are also those who prefer Bilstein, which is a very good, monotube option. The 4600's are a popular choice and maybe a little firmer than stock; I use these on the rear of my 2006 LE with a set of AirLift 1000 air bags, which has been a long-time, popular mod to help with the bottoming-out and sagging of the factory rear suspension. KYB Gas-a-just rear shocks are also a montube shock and are very good. A stock shock should be able to handle a 1" lift, but more than that and you'll need to get a shock that can handle the extended travel, like the Rancho or Bilstein 5100 series. Make sure you get a wheel alignment after your lift!

As far as brakes, it would probably help if I knew if you had the V6 or V8? If you like the stock brake feel, Akebono Pro ACT ceramics, Wagner OEX and ThermoQuiet, Raybestos Element 3 and Advanced Technology, Advics and Beck-Arnley are all solid choices. Hitachi makes most of the OE pads on the R51 and Akebono has been a long-time supplier of brakes to Nissan.

If you want a better performing brake, it would be best to replace the stock rotors with better parts, as well. Power Stop and EBC have options. If you have the V6, you can upgrade to the 1" larger front brakes of the V8 by replacing the front brake calipers w/ mount bracket, pads and rotors with those for the 05-12 V8 Pathfinder. Stainless steel braided brake hoses will help a little, as well.
I’m about four years behind on my reply. But thank you for the very thought out response.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”