Ac compressor question

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

08PathPounder

Ac compressor question

Postby 08PathPounder » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:19 am

Driving home the other day from work and about half way home in my 30 min commute, I notice my air conditioning is like half cold half warm air coming from the vent. Like two different sources almost. It eventually over the course of about 3 minutes stopped pumping cold air all together.

I figured it was low on r134a so the following day I went and got 34 ounzes of ac pro and in the parking lot of Walmart attempted to add it to the low side line only to see that the line wouldn’t take any coolant. Weird I thought ?

So I made sure my air was on max ac w/ #4 fan speed and attempted again. Still won’t take the charge. Next I made sure the compressor clutch was engaging and to my surprise it wouldn’t engage. Explaining why it wouldn’t take coolant.

I suspect that the coolant is lower than the acceptable amount for the compressor clutch to engage. I need to test for voltage at the compressor plug, and if it was present the next step would be to jump the compressor with 12v. If it worked and engaged I then could add coolant and be done with it, if not replace the compressor and find the leak.

Long rant, my question remains, how does one jump the compressor in a 2008 pathy s ? And have any of you done this before ?

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:02 am

Alright so I probed a tiny wire into the back of the compressor wiring detush connector and am reading 14 volts with the AC on max so it's got plenty of juice. The compressor clutch isn't engaging despite the fact it's getting juice.............

Besides throwing in the towel and dumping serious money into this, does anyone know how one would isolate just the clutch on the compressor to get it to engage ?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:47 pm

do the self test on the IPDM. follow the instructions here:

https://www.titantalk.com/threads/ipdm- ... est.38790/

If you hear the compressor engage during this test, then that means the wires are good, and the compressor should turn on, and the problem is going to either be low r134a, or a bad pressure switch.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:36 pm

disallow wrote:do the self test on the IPDM. follow the instructions here:

https://www.titantalk.com/threads/ipdm- ... est.38790/

If you hear the compressor engage during this test, then that means the wires are good, and the compressor should turn on, and the problem is going to either be low r134a, or a bad pressure switch.

Thank you!! I came across that rundown in my searches but never realized it would work on our pathy's.

Just a recap:
With engine off I can reach down ( thanks Nissan) and rotate the compressor center both left and right by hand so it's not bound at all and the outer spins just fine when running. I also went ahead and checked every associated a/c and HVAC fuse. Next I went and checked for voltage at the compressor ( good to go here ) as previously mentioned. I went under the dash and checked the temp sensor and made sure there was no problems there. Then pulled the resistor and it looked perfectly good but I hit the contacts with some cleaner for good measure.

Next I'll do the IDPM shakedown. Boy do I hope I can see / hear that clutch move..

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:44 am

No clutch actuation during the test, but key on engine running with ac on and I get 12 volts at the compressor hot wire ( granted I'm probing the connecter from the power side and candy and haven't checked on the compressor side yet.

Just because that stupid plug is so darn hard to disconnect on the compressor.
With the compressor being able to spin freely and the failed self test I am going to say the clutch finally shit the bed at 91,000 miles.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:11 pm

I had the field coil fail on the compressor clutch on my 2006 Pathy, which is probably what's wrong with yours. You can get just the coil for around $45 on Ebay, but I decided to go with a Maxsam clutch assembly for around $115 shipped. Maxsam clutches are made in the US. You can replace the clutch assembly without removing the compressor from the engine nor having to do anything refrigerant related. I had to remove the belt, skid plate, and fan shroud w/ electric fan. It took me about an hour, working on the ground. Here's some links to the part and the company that makes them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Compressor- ... Sw-ndTn5vZ

https://www.maxsamclutches.com/

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:34 am

smj999smj wrote:I had the field coil fail on the compressor clutch on my 2006 Pathy, which is probably what's wrong with yours. You can get just the coil for around $45 on Ebay, but I decided to go with a Maxsam clutch assembly for around $115 shipped. Maxsam clutches are made in the US. You can replace the clutch assembly without removing the compressor from the engine nor having to do anything refrigerant related. I had to remove the belt, skid plate, and fan shroud w/ electric fan. It took me about an hour, working on the ground. Here's some links to the part and the company that makes them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Compressor- ... Sw-ndTn5vZ

https://www.maxsamclutches.com/

So I ordered the linked clutch kit, I'm wondering though, can you just unbolt the compressor from the block leaving the lines attached in order to rotate the compressor toward the driver side wheel well making it so I can work from there ?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:24 pm

I don't know if you could do it that way or not, but I think it would be rather difficult (and awkward) working on it that way. The clutch bearing has a pretty snug fit on the compressor shaft and may need to be tapped off with a hammer (carefully). Also, you'll need a tool to hold the compressor in place while tightening the bolt. I was able to make do with a large set of 90-degree snap ring pliers. I believe Autozone has the correct tool available in their tool loaner program, if you have one near you. I used a set of ramps under the front wheels to give me plenty of room to work under it.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:10 pm

I took the shroud off, the fan, and then swapped the compressor magneto, and pulley. Gave the ac a re charge and she pumps out nice cold air now.

Thank you smj as well as to the forum.

Return to “R51 Electrical”