The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
About to be new owner, radiator question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eieio
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jontyrees wrote:
Just dropped off the truck with my mechanic. He was pretty insistent that the way to go is to add an external atf cooler kit, in front of the radiator. He said that the stock external cooler is "not enough", and since the kit is about $60, and his labor is very reasonable, I'm going with his suggestion. That's actually the solution I'm most comfortable with - keeps the atf completely out of the engine coolant loop, adds cooling capacity, less than $100. What's not to like?

I'm not a fan of most aftermarket stuff.
what's not to like?
the additional mounts, hoses, clamps, and plumbing of an aftermarket cooler.
I'd rather stick with the by-pass and OEM radiator, as I've done to both of my R51s.
here is the definitive thread on the radiator & bypass.
it's long, but it sure is definitive!
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2139&highlight=bypass

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
jontyrees

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you on the +/- of adding a cooler. I had originally asked my mechanic to simply do the bypass, and rely on the existing cooler, but the words "is not enough" won the day. I've read a whole lot of the definitive thread - bypass, replace the radiator with an aftermarket model, add a cooler, don't add a cooler, etc. I'm going with this solution.

edit - external cooler added, total 2,000 pesos (approx $100). He pointed out the stock external cooler, it's a straight tube about 10(?)" long, at the bottom front of the radiator. The kit he added looks like the back of a refrigerator, maybe 10"x10", and he tucked it in behind the radiator. He has a lot of experience here in this climate, and Nissan is the dominant brand around here, so I'm confidant in his recommendation. All the taxis here in town use him.
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there's a power steering cooler at the bottom of the radiator. The auxiliary trans cooler is on front of the A/C condenser, at the top side. 2005-2007 it was on the passenger side and after that it was on the driver side.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
patrickm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for what it's worth, my brother had a 2011 PF with the same kind of trans fluid/coolant mixing from a problem in the lower portion of his original radiator (per the mechanic tearing it apart). That seems like the exception, but 2010+ aren't entirely immune.

given that mine was already near 100k miles, and not as well maintained by the previous owner, i went the aftermarket radiator replacement route shortly after i bought it, and haven't worried about it since.
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickm wrote:
for what it's worth, my brother had a 2011 PF with the same kind of trans fluid/coolant mixing from a problem in the lower portion of his original radiator (per the mechanic tearing it apart). That seems like the exception, but 2010+ aren't entirely immune.

given that mine was already near 100k miles, and not as well maintained by the previous owner, i went the aftermarket radiator replacement route shortly after i bought it, and haven't worried about it since.

Yes, I've heard about a few 2011 Nissan Pathfinders and Frontiers with the -ZL11A radiator that have experienced cooler failures. They seem to be rare, but is still relevant.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
ALO604

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: New Owner Reply with quote

I just bought a 2010 LE V6 Pathfinder with 146,000klm on it.
I was not aware of these radiator issues. The number of the rad is21460 ZL11A and I don't know if this one is affected? I would hate to damage a trans.
eieio
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner Reply with quote

ALO604 wrote:
I was not aware of these radiator issues. The number of the rad is21460 ZL11A and I don't know if this one is affected? I would hate to damage a trans.

as the post prior to yours says............rare, but relevant.

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner Reply with quote

ALO604 wrote:

If it were mine, I would replace it. Rockauto has options under $100.
ALO604

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner Reply with quote

smj999smj wrote:
ALO604 wrote:

If it were mine, I would replace it. Rockauto has options under $100.

Yes I will. Just in case.
ALO604

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: oil cooler 2010 V6 Pathfinder Reply with quote

Upon inspection I see there is a stock external trans oil cooler mounted on the left side in front of the radiator. I was going to bypass the Rad and add an external cooler to avoid the oil mixing issue. Is this really required to add the extra cooler rather than just bypass the Rad?
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: oil cooler 2010 V6 Pathfinder Reply with quote

ALO604 wrote:
Upon inspection I see there is a stock external trans oil cooler mounted on the left side in front of the radiator. I was going to bypass the Rad and add an external cooler to avoid the oil mixing issue. Is this really required to add the extra cooler rather than just bypass the Rad?

All North American R51 Pathfinders came with an auxiliary trans cooler, so there is no need to add an additional trans cooler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: