Roof/ Cargo basket thread

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

ThePainClinic

Roof/ Cargo basket thread

Postby ThePainClinic » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Looking to see pics of roof top cargo baskets. I'm on the fence with either the Yakima Load Warrior or Rola Vortex. Just wanted to get some ideas pros and cons etc.

WDE08

Re: Roof/ Cargo basket thread

Postby WDE08 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:07 am

ThePainClinic wrote:Looking to see pics of roof top cargo baskets. I'm on the fence with either the Yakima Load Warrior or Rola Vortex. Just wanted to get some ideas pros and cons etc.
Just put a Rola on yesterday so I'll get some pics up when I can. Raining here today so dunno if I'll get to it or not. Build quality seemed good for the price, I'm sure yakima is better but super pricey. Doing research I did read that the Rola will rust on the inside after a few good rains. To combat that I plan on applying some RTV sealant.

XVTer

Postby XVTer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:48 am

I mounted the yak loadwarrior on our Thule bars. Doesn't look to bad, but, due to the load bars, it sits up a lot higher than I'd like. I'll dig up a picture and post it up tomorrow

WDE08

Re: Roof/ Cargo basket thread

Postby WDE08 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:04 am

The rain finally quit so I snapped a couple pics.

thealexv6

Postby thealexv6 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:47 pm

just wondering since i was thinking of adding the roof basket aswell, do these baskets do well in automatic type carwashes? in my area there are lots of $5 automatic carwashes that i go through and also if i add lights will the carwash mess them up?

WDE08

Postby WDE08 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:37 am

Typically these places will have a sign posted stating whether it's ok or not to go through them. The one I go to is manned so I'll likely ask before attempting.

houseofgrafix

Postby houseofgrafix » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:37 am

canderso

Postby canderso » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:51 pm

Here are pics of mine with a Rhino Rack xTray Large. It works well and the quality is nice for the price. As it turns out it will not do everything that I need the rack to do.

I wanted to purchase the BajaRack that is custom built for the Pathfinder and completely replaces the factory rails and cross bars. BajaRack told me they were not able to build one for the Pathfinder at this time. Too many orders for their normal production stuff to take the time away to build one for the Pathfinder. I needed a rack to get through the summer. This one served it's purpose but I cannot put a canoe and kayak on the roof with this rack. Not enough weight capacity.

Also installed 4 Hella lights for some of the back road trails that we adventure on.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:59 am

im guessing these all attache to the roof cross rails

canderso

Postby canderso » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:04 am

Akley- yes. The ones posted here and the ones commonly available all attach to the factory cross rails.

ThePainClinic

Postby ThePainClinic » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Really liking the Yakima as it has the ability to extend out. I also like the idea of low profile type mountings to our existing roof bars...

How bad do they destroy gas mileage. 32's, 2 inch lift, and roof rack? I haven't lifted mine yet as my tires fit without it but I'm sure the Rancho Quick Lift and the Roof Rack will definitely drop mpg's

canderso

Postby canderso » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:34 pm

The Pain Clinic-

This is what I expereinced: 2" lift with factory tires did not affect fuel mileage at all but the addition of the roof cargo basket dropped my avg fuel performance almost exactly 1mpg.

For me, the biggest impact on fuel performance has been towing. When towing a 16' boat my avg fuel performance drops 2mpg.

I think the biggest upcoming factor will be new tires. When the time comes, I am planning to put on a set of 33" BF Goodrich All Terrain tires (TKO). I suspect I will see another 2mpg loss with the larger tires.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:21 pm

My V8's gas mileage takes a 1.5 MPG hit on the highway with the roof basket on. In town MPGs are unaffected.[/quote]

not on the rug

Postby not on the rug » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:48 am

canderso wrote:The Pain Clinic-

This is what I expereinced: 2" lift with factory tires did not affect fuel mileage at all but the addition of the roof cargo basket dropped my avg fuel performance almost exactly 1mpg.

For me, the biggest impact on fuel performance has been towing. When towing a 16' boat my avg fuel performance drops 2mpg.

I think the biggest upcoming factor will be new tires. When the time comes, I am planning to put on a set of 33" BF Goodrich All Terrain tires (TKO). I suspect I will see another 2mpg loss with the larger tires.
I lost 2mpg with my 2" lift and open country at2 33" tires. and I lose another mpg or so with my thule rooftop box on top.

plus the 1-2 mpg I've lost due to winter gas.

I was getting 18mpg before the lift. this winter I've been averaging 14mpg. but I also warm it up for a bit every morning before work.

WDE08

Postby WDE08 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:20 pm

Added a new 32" light bar to the Rola rack. This thing is stupid bright.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”