My 2006 radiator Woes

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

Jaycen

My 2006 radiator Woes

Postby Jaycen » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:37 pm

Well it happened to me this year. I have a 2006 Pathfinder SE. I've had some heat issues this winter, I didn't think too much of it, we have only put 4000 miles on the vehicle in the past year, it only gets used on weekends for the most part. We have decided to try and use it more, Sunday morning I decided to investigate the heat issue and opened up radiator and over flow res. CRAP, ATF on the top of the antifreeze and in the overflow res. I took it to my local Firestone to have the radiator pressure tested and yep, its leaking down bottom the tech told me. I told him to button it up and it was going to Nissan.

Well, I guess, I should just bring it down there and have a war with the Shittiest Nissan Dealer on the face of the planet. Dropped my pathfinder off Sunday afternoon left a note in the drop box and continued home.

Today I get a call from the Stealer and he tells me that the radiator is leaking, but this isn't the transmission problem, its just a radiator that's leaking and its more up top than down by the transmission cooler. He told me it was going to be 1200 or so to replace the radiator....I asked why it wasn't covered, he said out of warranty. Well, put it back together, I can put a radiator in myself. The guy told me there would be 120 dollar diagnostic fee, and to safe me some money they could do an aftermarket rad, the repair would be around 700 for everything. Fine, just fix it.....I'm livid.

I stewed for all of 30 seconds and finally said F-this to myself and called Nissan Consumer affairs. We ran through the process and the woman on the phone informed me that the pathfinder radiator should still be under warranty until august. She told me to call the dealer and tell then to hold off on the repair until they got a hold of them about the repair.

Back one the phone with the dealer, I told him I contacted Consumer affairs and they said the radiator was still under warranty. This guy actually told me the extended warranty on the radiator was only if the transmission was involved. Really guy, well there was ATF floating on top of the antifreeze as well as in the overflow when I looked regardless of what this jerk told me, even so, it the radiator failed it failed, I don't care where or what or how. What a jerk. The more I think about this the more pissed I get. I'm sure these guys were gonna double dip and put a warranty claim in as well as charge me for the repairs. I'm now thinking that I should have it towed to another dealer to have the work done. It was a certified vehicle when I bought it so there is a 10 year 100k power train warranty that will cover me for the next couple years if there is any damage to the tranny.

Anyone have any advice?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:50 am

how many miles on your truck?
has anyone checked the condition of your transmission fluid?
it's either contaminated with coolant or it's not.
do you have any transmission related symptoms?
you don't mention if anyone has drained some and really inspected it.
the residue you saw in the overflow reservoir may be a cooling system (conditioner) additive in your coolant that someone may have added at some time before you even bought the truck.
hope your trans is OK.

Jaycen

Postby Jaycen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:38 am

63K on my pathfinder, I've owned it since 2009 so I have a hard time believing the residue was a conditioner.

Right now If its not warranty i told them not to fix it. I'll take it somewhere else for a fraction of the price.

I did check the transmission fluid and it did not look contaminated.

Nissan Consumer affairs is saying that the Extended warranty only applies to the lower part of the radiator where the oil cooler is. I'm not really sure what these guys are thinking, if the radiator failed it failed, whats the difference if it is top or bottom.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:02 am

Jaycen wrote:63K on my pathfinder, I've owned it since 2009 so I have a hard time believing the residue was a conditioner.

Right now If its not warranty i told them not to fix it. I'll take it somewhere
Nissan Consumer affairs is saying that the Extended warranty only applies to the lower part of the radiator where the oil cooler is. I'm not really sure else for a fraction of the price.

I did check the transmission fluid and it did not look contaminated.
what these guys are thinking, if the radiator failed it failed, whats the difference if it is top or bottom.
not all radiator problems are covered under the warranty extension
it's only covered under the extension if the internal transmission cooler (in the bottom) portion of it fails causing transmission failure as a result
otherwise, it's not covered
have you seen this?: http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiato ... hp?menu=22

Jaycen

Postby Jaycen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Yes I saw that, they replaced it today with a brand new OEM unit under warranty. I guess if you make enough stink with the right person, anything is possible.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”