Inexpensive TPMS sensors.

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Inexpensive TPMS sensors.

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Just thought I'd relay this info for those who need TPMS sensors on their Pathy. I recently purchased a set of four TPMS sensors on Ebay for $79 from seller "1729mily." The Nissan P/N is 40700-CK001 and the OEM sensors are made by Schrader and run about $90 each from the dealer. I bought these sensors for my 2006 Pathfinder which still had the original sensors which had failing batteries in them. These sensors were exactly the same as what I took off and worked perfectly! My only concern was that the date stamp on the replacement sensors were 12/2005, but they were shipped in sleep mode. Now, be advised that these aren't "plug and play," so to speak. Once the sensors are installed, they need to be "woke up" and registered using a trigger tool and a scantool that has ID registration capability. Some tire stores can do this as well as the dealer.
In my case, I already had access to an X431 scantool with ID registration capability. I purchased a Kent-Moore EL-50448 trigger tool online for about $70, which worked fine, even though it says it doesn't work on Asian makes and is primarily for GM vehicles, which usually accomplish ID registration using the menu on the dashboard plus the trigger tool. So, technically, it does work on Asian makes...you just need a capable and usually expensive scantool to go with it.
This seller also has TPMS sensors for Nissan's that use the 40700-JA01B part number. I also ordered a set of these for a late-production 2007 Maxima, but have yet to receive them. The sensors for my truck I actually ordered after those for the Maxima and they shipped out of China. Delivery was surprisingly fast. The Maxima units shipped out of San Fransisco and were supposed to be delivered two days ago. The postal tracking number shows them in transit; I'll be calling the post office tomorrow to see what's going on!
One thing to remember is that TPMS batteries usually last around 6-7 years. Often, when they get weak, they will work intermittently, especially when the weather is cold. If the sensors are all the same age, it's best to replace the whole set rather than one individual sensor. Chances are the others are not far behind!

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:46 am

8) Great info. Good point about replacing all 4 sensors at the same time. Thanks!

Is the P/N for the TPMS sensor the same for all years of the Pathfinder? I have a 2012.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:03 pm

The 2005-06 models used the Nissan P/N 40700-CK001 TPMS sensors. The 2007 through 2012 models used the Nissan P/N 40700-JA01B sensors; this part number has been superceded several times and the current replacement P/N is 40700-1AA0B.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:10 pm

UPDATE: I do not recommend these sensors!
So, I figured I'd provide an update on my experience with these sensors from seller "1729mily" on Ebay. The first set I ordered, which were for a 2007 Maxima and $90 a set, still have not arrived. I can't blame this on the seller as it has a USPS tracking number and apparently the Post Office has dropped the ball on this one. The seller has communicated in quick time and hopefully this will resolve itself, soon. This set shipped out of California.
The second set, for my 2006 Pathfinder, shipped out of China and I received it quickly. I installed them and all four sensors registered with the vehicle's TPMS module. One of the sensors would not read the tire pressure. Two days later, a second sensor threw a trouble code for "low battery." This was one of my concerns when I read the "11/2005" clock stamp on the sensor. While I have no question that the sensor was "new" and I know these sensors are in "sleep mode" until activated, I would still think there is a shelf life on the batteries in these sensors while in "sleep mode." The sensors have a 14 day exchange policy and I am in the process of working this out with the seller. I'll update this as it gets resolved.
In the meantime, I'm thinking about going with Dorman TPMS sensors from Rockauto. The Dorman sensors sell for $41.79 each plus shipping, which is half the price of genuine Nissan sensors, but they do have a lifetime warranty and Rockauto is great about doing warranty exchanges. With a 5% discount code and shipping, four of Dorman #974020 TPMS sensors (which fit 05-06 Pathfinders) will run me $161.79. Stay tuned![/b]

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:31 am

You said the OEM sensors are made by Schrader. I found Schrader sensors on Amazon for $49 each:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NK2NDC/ref ... MSMLSD33VS

Amazon states it fits my 2012 and also your 2006.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Yeah...from what I can tell, there isn't much difference between the -CK001 and -JA0B1 sensors. They both generate the same signal frequency. Physically, the only difference other than color is that the -JA0B1 sensor has more threads on the valve stem shank (the threads that engage the nut that holds the sensor to the wheel) than the -CK001. I can see where it would be easy for an aftermarket manufacturer to make one that works on both types.
The Schrader sensors to which you link are blank sensors and must be programmed using the Schrader 21260 EZ-sensor programming pad for an additional $260. These are an option for shops that sell a lot of TPMS sensors (like a tire shop) and don't want to stock several different part numbers of sensors. Dorman has a similar system as well. Also, even at $49 each, they are still no cheaper than the direct-fit Dorman sensors and they do not have a lifetime warranty. So, with the Dorman sensors, it'll be the last time I need to buy a set of sensors for my vehicle, which I will likely still have in another 6 years (when most TPMS sensors start to fail).
Rockauto currently has direct-fit Schrader TPMS sensors for $37.79 closeout price. My concern with them is that they are likely to be old and they only carry a 30-day warranty. My experience with Rockauto is that "wholesaler closeout" items tend to be old stock. For some things that's ok, but for items with batteries or seals that can dry out, I tend to avoid.
Back to my update:
I am still waiting on the -JA0B1 sensors to arrive and the post office still lists them as "in-transit" out of California.
"1729mily" has offered to give me a half-refund on the set of four -CK001 sensors to compensate for the two sensors that have failed in three days. While I am okay with that, as I expressed to him/her, I still have reservations regarding the other two sensors that are currently working, at least for now. Stay tuned!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:51 am

smj999smj wrote: "1729mily" has offered to give me a half-refund on the set of four -CK001 sensors to compensate for the two sensors that have failed in three days. While I am okay with that, as I expressed to him/her, I still have reservations regarding the other two sensors that are currently working, at least for now. Stay tuned!
Does the mfr provide the 14 day warranty, or is it the seller? If the seller, I would return all 4 and wash my hands of it and find another source. If 2/4 sensors have already crapped out, odds are sky high that the other 2 will crap out soon as well.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:06 am

smj999smj wrote: The Schrader sensors to which you link are blank sensors and must be programmed using the Schrader 21260 EZ-sensor programming pad for an additional $260. These are an option for shops that sell a lot of TPMS sensors (like a tire shop) and don't want to stock several different part numbers of sensors. Dorman has a similar system as well. Also, even at $49 each, they are still no cheaper than the direct-fit Dorman sensors and they do not have a lifetime warranty. So, with the Dorman sensors, it'll be the last time I need to buy a set of sensors for my vehicle, which I will likely still have in another 6 years (when most TPMS sensors start to fail).
Rockauto currently has direct-fit Schrader TPMS sensors for $37.79 closeout price. My concern with them is that they are likely to be old and they only carry a 30-day warranty. My experience with Rockauto is that "wholesaler closeout" items tend to be old stock. For some things that's ok, but for items with batteries or seals that can dry out, I tend to avoid.
Good info. I would also go with the Dorman for the lifetime warranty. Thanks! I figure I still have 4 or 5 more years before I need to replace mine.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:14 pm

The seller provides the 14 day warranty. I believe the sensors are new old stock by proof of the 11/2005 time stamp on them, which is part of the problem. I finally received the -JA0B1 sensors. I'm not even going to open the package and will see about returning them to the seller, even if it means I pay for the shipping, which isn't much. I've already ordered a set of Dorman sensors for the Maxima from Rockauto and a Dorman sensor for the Pathfinder. I also have a Dorman sensor which Rockauto is exchanging for me under warranty, no hassle, for the Pathfinder. The seller of the -CK001 sensors told them to contact them if there's a problem with the other two sensors. The seller has been very cooperative and quick to respond; I just think the sensors are old.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:15 pm

UPDATE Finally received the -JA0B1 sensors in the mail; it took 11 days to go from California to Virginia via USPS standard shipping. I don't blame the seller for this. I didn't bother to open the package, I simply asked the seller if I could return them for a full refund and I would cover the cost of the return shipping. The seller said that would be fine. In the end, the seller was great as far as communication and willing to work with me. To me it's just a case of new old stock TPMS sensors that have been sitting somewhere too long and may or may not be good when you get them. For $78 to $90/set of four, the price was great. Had I not been able to replace them myself and had to pay a shop to replace them, it would have been an expensive outcome. Some might get lucky, but it's a gamble. In the end, my recommendation is to go with the Dorman TPMS sensors. They are reasonably priced (between $40-50 each @ Rockauto.com), they have replaceable stems in the event of one should break and they come with a lifetime warranty. As I mentioned early in this thread, if the sensors are more than 6 years old and one has failed, chances are the others aren't far behind and I would recommend replacing all four. If you are due for a new set of tires at that point, it would make sense to replace them there and cut down on the installation costs.

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:56 am

In the end, my recommendation is to go with the Dorman TPMS sensors. They are reasonably priced (between $40-50 each @ Rockauto.com), they have replaceable stems in the event of one should break and they come with a lifetime warranty. As I mentioned early in this thread, if the sensors are more than 6 years old and one has failed, chances are the others aren't far behind and I would recommend replacing all four. If you are due for a new set of tires at that point, it would make sense to replace them there and cut down on the installation costs.
Bump for TPMS - I'm going to be getting new tires soon so I want to replace the TPMS sensors while the wheels are apart. I assume Dorman is still the way to go?

The one thing I notice - there are two options - multi-fit (974301) and direct fit (974020), with two part numbers. I assume either works and they're both the same price.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:45 am

Multi-fit sensors need to be programmed by that company's programming tool. Dorman has a programming tool with four unprogrammed TPMS sensors for around $270. Multi-fit sensors and kits are designed for shops and those who replace a lot of TPMS sensors. Otherwise, you'll want the direct-fit sensor.

For direct-fit sensors, you'll want Dorman #974020 for 2005-2006 models. For 2007-2012 models, you'll want Dorman #974017.

Sensors will need to be "woke-up" and programmed to the vehicle using a trigger tool in conjunction with a scantool capable of doing this, or the vehicle will need to be taken to a dealer or shop that is capable of programming the TPMS sensors. In my experience, it's best to program the sensors before you dismount the tires and install them just in case you get a defective one. This way, you know they are all working and programmed and don't chance have to remove the tire a second time.

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:30 am

Thanks for the clarification - four new sensors are on their way...

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:11 am

Just a quick update - I got the new TPMS from RockAuto within days and they installed with no issues.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:43 am

smj999smj wrote: For direct-fit sensors, you'll want Dorman #974020 for 2005-2006 models. For 2007-2012 models, you'll want Dorman #974017.
Thanks for the info. I should have replaced mine last week when I had new tires installed, but didn't. Of course, it looks like another one of mine is bad. First one I had fail on me, the dealer replaced for no charge, probably because I raised such a stink about it. I still think they are a good idea in general, but holy crap, humanity is quickly going to reach a point where we are 100% reliant on tech to guide our lives.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”