Colorado tire choice

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

merrion13

Colorado tire choice

Postby merrion13 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:28 am

For all of you CO folks, what tires are you running on your Pathfinders? I just picked up an '08 that I plan on tweaking a bit before the summer starts.

As this is a daily driver, I'm looking for a tire that performs well around town and on highway, but also works for weekend duty on light trails such as mining roads, Alpine Loop, etc. Also go to the mountains every weekend in the winter for skiing...and before I think about a dedicated snow I'm curious to hear everyone's experience for the driving I mentioned above.

I have Toyo Open Country ATs on my Discovery, but they don't give me confidence in the slush on I-70. Here are the options I'm considering:

Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO 2?
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor?
Hankook DynaPro ATM?
Last edited by merrion13 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:36 am

Silent Armor would be my choice. Since mine gets real light on road duty, I went with a Duratrac, but, looks like you would be better suited with the SA.

merrion13

Postby merrion13 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:19 am

Thanks; did you run the SA before going to Duratrac? What would you say are their strengths/weaknesses?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:55 am

I've actually never run the SA, but if mine was a DD and I had what you had in mind, it would definitely be the SA. Couple that with the fact that you get added protection from punctures and such.

Also, the BGF AT is a good choice too, IMO. Also never run it, but doctahjones seems to like it and his Pathy has a bout the same mission as yours, and he's in CO.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:09 am

I'd vote for the Bridgestone Revo if you don't want something as aggressive as the Duratracs. I've run both and much prefer the Duratracs for snow and off road, but the Revos weren't that bad. I would not suggest the BFG ATs, as they really suck in the rain & suck overall once the tread is worn down a bit. Last thing you want to be doing is flying on I-70 in a downpour and the BFGs keep losing contact with the road-the tread design is just not made for wet conditions. I don't have any personal experience with any of the others on your list.

merrion13

Postby merrion13 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:23 am

I'm not considering the BFGs...I know they are a well regarded tire but my brother had them on his Xterra for 3 years and they got downright scary in rain/slush.

NVSteve, what did you like about the Revo? Did they do well in snow? Any sense of how they compare against the Silent Armors?

not on the rug

tires

Postby not on the rug » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:09 am

I have the AT2s on my pathfinder and we just had an awful winter here in nj and I drove pretty much every day of it with no real issues.

the silent armors are probably a good choice (As would be the duratracs) but personally, i'm not a fan of the bfgs or the grabbers unless you're spending most of your time offroad. frankly, they drive like garbage on the pavement.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:22 am

I would vote for the SA. I had SA on my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Loved them. They did great on all road conditions including mud and snow.

I went with the Duratracs on my Pathfinder as I wanted to try something different. I'm actually due for new tires this summer. I plan to put SA on my pathfinder.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:52 am

merrion13 wrote:I'm not considering the BFGs...I know they are a well regarded tire but my brother had them on his Xterra for 3 years and they got downright scary in rain/slush.

NVSteve, what did you like about the Revo? Did they do well in snow? Any sense of how they compare against the Silent Armors?
Yes, the Revo did extremely well in the rain and wet snow. The only downside is that they have never lasted me that long. I have no experience with the Silent Armors as they don't fit my needs. Actually, the guy who lives next to me runs them on his Taco & oftentimes we are parked side by side. I know his tread is worn to the nub right now & he bought them around the same time I bought my Duratracs. I'm guessing he's running a P rated tire & I have no idea how much mileage he has on them.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:53 am

volvite wrote:I went with the Duratracs on my Pathfinder as I wanted to try something different. I'm actually due for new tires this summer. I plan to put SA on my pathfinder.
How many miles on the Duratracs & why aren't you going to run them again?

merrion13

Postby merrion13 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:00 pm

After more research I've ruled out the Yokos and the Grabbers, but to add another option to the table I'm also considering the Hankook Dynapro ATM which seem well regarded, anyone like those?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:55 pm

NVSteve wrote:I would not suggest the BFG ATs, as they really suck in the rain & suck overall once the tread is worn down a bit.
merrion13 wrote:I'm not considering the BFGs...I know they are a well regarded tire but my brother had them on his Xterra for 3 years and they got downright scary in rain/slush.

i can appreciate comments from those that have had first hand experience with the BFG ATs...

but so far i have had no problems with them, and in fact i really love them so far. i once got stuck in some snow with the OEM long trails and vow'd never to have that happen again. check out the "show off your pathy" thread. i have several pics of my pathy cutting through some snow.

i'm at ~9/32 tread depth (they start at 16/32) and the still perform like when i first got them. i've had no issues in rain, slush, snow or hard pack. maybe i need to be at even lower tread depth? however IMO if you go lower than ~5/32 you're not going to have good traction no matter what tire you use. so if the xterra was on tires with less than that and you tried to tackle rain/slush/snow then i would expect them to suck.

as another example, i had some yok geo ATs (33x12.5x15) on my wrangler. they were at 16/32+ tread depth. absolutely horrible in the snow. i would lose traction at 20% throttle. tirerack.com had several reviews and some people seemed to have no problems in the snow with them, which is one reason i got them. however after using them in the snow i felt they were the worst tire on the planet for my jeep. i finally got them all switched out to BFG ATs and i have to do about 60% throttle to get them to break traction in the snow, further solidifying my opinion that the BFG ATs are -wonderful- in snow (light, med or heavy).

now those yoks might be better on another vehicle, maybe something heavier would get them to bite into the snow and perform well. i just know that the didn't work for me on my particular jeep.

so what does this mean? your results may vary. but for me the BFG ATs work -great-. i'm completely happy with them (which is why i put them on my wrangler) and they haven't let me down in the slush around town and my -many- trips to copper mtn the day after (or the day during) a snow storm. i've also had zero problems with rain/hydroplaning thusfar.

as for the tires you listed, i have no first hand experience with those so i can't comment on them.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:19 am

NVSteve wrote:
volvite wrote:I went with the Duratracs on my Pathfinder as I wanted to try something different. I'm actually due for new tires this summer. I plan to put SA on my pathfinder.
How many miles on the Duratracs & why aren't you going to run them again?
Not sure the exact miles on the Pathfinder and Duratracs at the moment. I'm currently on a military mission but will verify when I get home in a week. However I think I'm close to 50K miles which I think is great on these tires. The duratracs performed great in all the weather both Idaho and Utah could throw at them.

I'm planning on the SAs as with my current job I'm gone a lot for the military and the wife does most of the mileage on the Pathfinder. I think she needs something less aggressive but still handles the weather of Utah and I think the SAs will be a great choice. I might even go with a P rated tire to cut the tire weight and possibly help give me back some MPGs. Haven't decided that yet.

1armyguy

Postby 1armyguy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:58 am

I have been running my General Grabber AT2's for a second year now and I still LOVE these tires. I know that when the weather here in New England got bad this year, my wife always wanted to take my pathfinder. Now I have the AT2's on her truck and she loves them. She has even commented how she hasn't had to use 4 wheel drive as much an that's even getting out of the driveway. :-)
Just my opinion. I was actually looking at the Cooper Discover AT3's for her truck but, I couldn't find a shop that could get them when I was looking and they were charging more.
I believe I have about 40K on my tires and they still look good and work awesome. That's even doing some off roading with them. I have also pulled out quite a few big vehicles such as a full size crown vic, police car up a hill packed with snow and ice, while in a snow storm and they worked flawlessly.

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:43 am

I drive a 2011 F-150 for work, I'm a cop, and drove it hard on crazy winter roads and backroads fields mud and blacktop for two years straight through winter and summer with silent armours and they were awesome. I was yet to throw some scenario at them where they werent just perfect.

I hold the SA's in high regard and think thats the tire you should choose

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”