Just discovered a Spare Tire Winch Problem

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

calinissan

Just discovered a Spare Tire Winch Problem

Postby calinissan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Hello Nissan Path forum:

I got a flat tire the other day and while lowering the spare to the ground, I heard the chain from the Spare Tire Winch drop to the ground as well. This apparently occurred while cranking, and not realizing the tire was fully on the ground, I kept cranking, next thing I know the chain also came off the winch. I'm not sure how/why that happened when it's clearly not supposed to.

Does anyone have any possible solution to how to get the chain back onto the winch so that I can put my spare tire back where it belongs?

Any insight is most appreciated.

jman9895

`

Postby jman9895 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:21 am

fortunately (for me) I've never had to take one of those apart. I'm willing to bet if you take the thing out, hold it upside down in a vise, and have someone crank it while you feed the chain in, it'll probably catch and you can wind it all back in.

While you have it off, spray some penetrating oil or spray lube in there as well, help keep the thing from seizing up as it ages.

calinissan

Postby calinissan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:44 pm

Thanks jman.

I initially tried to remove the Spare Tire Winch Assembly, but it is a real hassle without the right tools. I was able to eventually fix it without having to remove the assembly. With the help of another person to crank of the winch, it is possible to reinsert the fallen chain.

Here is some documentation for the process I took to fix it, as well as installing an easy fix to prevent it from it happening again. I hope it is able to help someone out there in the future. I highly recommend Pathfinder owners on this model to check the winch chain's functionality and install a stopper:

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”