Trying to even out braking with new tires and lift

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Funky_ChPimp

Trying to even out braking with new tires and lift

Postby Funky_ChPimp » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:36 am

Hey everyone, I recently lifted my pathy and put some heavier tires on it and am finding that either I'm not really used to my brakes yet or they're not cutting it. I'd like to get more actual stopping power out of it. Would I have to go as far as changing the whole rotor and caliper set or can I get a difference in stickiness pad? I know my way around a car, but brakes are usually just something I look past. I'd like to spend under $200 if that sets any guidelines and that may put upgrading rotors out of the question. Any insight is appreciated!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:40 am

To actually stop faster will require bigger discs/pads/calipers. Someone linked yesterday to a big brake kit by Stillen that's around $2k.

You can reduce the fade by going to higher performance pads/rotors. Some of those actually reduce performance though because they take longer to heat up and grab the pads. But you're not going to touch any of that for $200. Best bet is to just slow down and leave more space just like if you're driving a big truck!

Funky_ChPimp

Postby Funky_ChPimp » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:03 am

You're probably right haha well maybe sometime in the future I may get around to changing some of the braking components, but for now I'll just stick with that. Solid advice! :lol:

akley88

Postby akley88 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:43 am

doesnt the v8 pathfinder have a little big bigger brakes?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:05 am

akley88 wrote:doesnt the v8 pathfinder have a little big bigger brakes?
That is true. The front discs are about 1" bigger in diameter and the pads cover about 4% more. It would obviously require replacing the calipers, disc, pads so it wouldn't be a cheap upgrade. I'm not positive if the backs are significantly different or not.

Funky_ChPimp

Postby Funky_ChPimp » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:14 am

akley88 wrote:doesnt the v8 pathfinder have a little big bigger brakes?
I'm not too sure, if so, I may look into getting a set of those from a scrap yard. Tons of those around here. I wish I had a V8 pathy tho. I wonder how much of a difference it really makes driving wise. The V6 does pretty good in my opinion, still has plenty of up-and-go even with the new tires and all. With the vdc off it'll still get em spinning pretty good on a dirt road :D

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:31 am

V8 with 3.36's is no joke. It's like a jack rabbit off the line, even with 35's, steel bumper, tire carrier, winch, sliders.

But I could use some more braking power too though. :?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:15 pm

Funky_ChPimp wrote:
akley88 wrote:I wonder how much of a difference it really makes driving wise. T
Surprisingly, not a huge difference. In fact I found the V6 to be quicker at passing speeds (50-80 for me). V8 a tad quicker off the line. They're within a few tenths 0-60. However, if you're towing that V8 makes a difference with the down-low torque.

You could probably get salvage parts and swap the brakes. The front calipers run $500 new. You'll need to have at least 17" rims though.

Funky_ChPimp

Postby Funky_ChPimp » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Haha oh yeah, before I got 285's I used to brag on a pathfinders passing gear. I'd be going 60 and mash maybe a quarter of an inch more out of it and hit 80 by the time I pass the car in front of me! I bet the gears are a big aspect of it tho. I haven't looked at what ratio is stock but I know I used to have 4.11's in a '92 cherokee up 9" on 37's and that in line six would spin all four off the line. Good times hahaha

akley88

Postby akley88 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:19 am

Funky_ChPimp wrote:Haha oh yeah, before I got 285's I used to brag on a pathfinders passing gear. I'd be going 60 and mash maybe a quarter of an inch more out of it and hit 80 by the time I pass the car in front of me! I bet the gears are a big aspect of it tho. I haven't looked at what ratio is stock but I know I used to have 4.11's in a '92 cherokee up 9" on 37's and that in line six would spin all four off the line. Good times hahaha
get a few mods and the power returns. mine pulls good with the 295s i can keep up and pass with many cars that are smaller.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”