Help with start up issues with 06 Pathfinder LE (50k miles)

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

log

Help with start up issues with 06 Pathfinder LE (50k miles)

Postby log » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:44 am

When I turn the key to start up the vehicle, nothing happens. Not even a slow crank, completely dead. However the lights, stereo and fan work perfectly though.

I have found that if I simply remove both battery cables and re-connect them the vehicle no longer has start up issues. It fires up as quickly the next time I turn it over. I won't have the same problem again until the next day/week/month....

I've cleaned the battery posts to ensure a solid connection and the problem still persists. Would a bad battery connection be causing my start up issues if my lights, stereo and fan work perfectly? I would imagine that if the connection is bad enough where the vehicle won't start, the connection would be bad enough that the lights, stereo and fan wouldn't work either. Also boosting the vehicle also doesn't help at all.

Any ways if anyone had some input as to what could be causing this issue that would be greatly appreciated.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:20 am

log

Postby log » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:57 am

disallow wrote:Look into the IPDM relay:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/ipdm-relay ... cPath=6833&
Would a faulty IPDM register a fault code? I can get access to a scanner.

Otherwise how would I check the relay other than buying a new one and putting it in?

Thanks for the assistance.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Tehy were replacing the whole IPDM for a while, but now Nissan offers the relay. Its a couple bucks, so I would suggest just trying it out.

log

Postby log » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:23 pm

disallow wrote:Tehy were replacing the whole IPDM for a while, but now Nissan offers the relay. Its a couple bucks, so I would suggest just trying it out.
Thanks again for the suggestion Terry. I would imagine I'd be looking at the starter relay within the IPDM. I'll pop by the dealership to see if they have any in stock.

Shipping on that relay in the link you gave comes out to $21 (plus UPS's brokerage and duty fees).

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:41 pm

I've heard of a number of problems with the PNP switch. This needs to be monitored with a scan tool. The switch should indicate "ON" when in park or neutral, and "OFF" in reverse or drive positions. The starter relay is built into the TCM, which is part of the transmission valve body assy. The PNP switch is on the shifter and runs about $50, IIRC.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:03 pm

Smj,

So is the ipdm relay not it?

I've had similar intermittent issues, very interested in your experience on this.

log

Postby log » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Today was a rough day.... The vehicle didn't turn over at all on 4 separate times - had to pop off the battery cables for a moment each time. The problem is obviously getting worse. F!

Any ways, when the vehicle fails to turn over, each time I hear a clicking sound coming from down in the engine bay (lower passenger side down by the bottom of the engine - perhaps the starter is located here???).

SMJ, I just ran through the gears and tried to start it. I get the clicking sound coming from down in the engine bay when trying to start in P or N. All the other gear shift positions give nothing what so ever when I turn it over (no clicks). You also mentioned the starter relay is built into the TCM, which is part of the transmission valve body assembly. Could this be my clicking sound?

As for the IMPD relay, I booked into the dealership to have it done next week (under the recall). Prior to today I wasn't in an urgent rush to get it done.

Thanks Guys!!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:00 pm

It's really an ECM relay, not an IPDM relay. The IPDM is the fuse and relay box located in the engine compartment and it has its own CPU. The bad ECM relays would cause dash lights to flash, engine to surge and stall, etc., almost like the vehicle was possessed. At first, Nissan said the relay was not serviceable separate from the IPDM, so they were replacing the whole IPDM. Then people were finding relays available on the aftermarket for around $12 and replacing the bad ECM relays and Nissan decided that it actually was serviceable, and much cheaper, to replace just the ECM relay. I believe they know sell the relay for just a few dollars, which, for some, makes it cheaper and more practical to just replace the recall then spend the time and gas to have the dealer replace it under the recall.
As far as the clicking noise you are hearing, I can't tell you without hearing it for myself. Perhaps you have a bad starter motor? Might be worth seeing if power is getting to the starter solenoid when the key is turned to "start."

log

Postby log » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:03 am

It looks like I found my problem. While I was cleaning up the battery terminal connector (I previously only cleaned the battery post), I noticed the bolt attaching the positive cable to the connector was loose. A plastic cover piece previously hid this from my view. I tightened the connection up and the vehicle fired right up. I haven't had any problems since.

Any ways thanks a bunch of everyone's assistance.

Return to “R51 General Chat”