Looking to get new tires soon... Help me decide?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Which tire?

Cooper ATP
10%
General Grabber AT2
60%
BFG Rugged Terrain
30%

Total votes: 10

Path-Less

Looking to get new tires soon... Help me decide?

Postby Path-Less » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:19 pm

I am having a internal debate with myself, and could use some assistance. I have spent countless hours researching and looking at tire specs and reviews.

I have a 2008 V8 4x4. I currently have stock sized BFG Rugged Terrains 30" (265/60/18 ) but plan to jump up a size to 32" (275/65/18 ). I'd like to stay away from an LT tire if possible as I feel it is unnecessary for the pathfinder and just added weight. Plus, the rougher ride characteristics...

I have narrowed my tires choices down to the...

-Cooper ATP ($139 each) 43lbs
http://www.discounttire.com/cooperAtpHtp.html

-General Grabber AT2 ($170 each) 43lbs.
http://www.generaltire.com/tires/light- ... -#Overview

-BFG Rugged Terrains ($200 each) 50lbs. (only available as an LT in my desired size)
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-sel ... re-details

I have looked into other tires choices but I always keep coming back to these as they are light, very well reviewed and all have a 50-60k mile warranty.

-The Cooper ATP tires seems to be a great all around tire but just lacks the aggressive look. Seems to have overall good on/off road manners.

-The General Grabber AT2 Tires have the snowflake rating and are almost identical clones to the BFG A/T KO but at half the price and from what I have gathered are slightly improved upon. Suppose to have better rain traction and offer a quieter drive.

-IMO, the BFG Rugged Terrains are in between the other two, it kinda has the aggressive look and the overall good on/off road manners but lacking in a few areas and the ones I have currently are rather noisy for a non-serious AT tire.

I will be using these tires on the road but with the occasional Mountain trip and beach trip. So pavement, sand, snow, and dirt traction is a must.

All advice is welcomed. Thanks

not on the rug

none

Postby not on the rug » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Toyo open country at2 or firestone destination.

The coopers are an "ok" tire. The grabbers are downright dangerous as they have had a tendency to blow up (was told this by 2 tire shops) and they're basically a bfg at knock off. And I don't have any experience with the rugged terrains so I can't honestly weigh in on them. The destination at are probably the best road riding at tire out there. And the open country at2 are probably a close second. 65k warranty on the toyos too. When I was narrowing it down for my latest set of tires, I came down to the duratracs or the open country at2. The toyos were way cheaper so I went that route. And I love them. Amazing road manners. Great on wet roads too. And I had no problems in the snow this past winter. Good off road as well

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:04 pm

Not on the rug, I appreciate your comment. Sometimes getting people to comment in this forum is like pulling teeth. A lot of looking but no touching.... :D

I have read good things about the TOYO's. However, I quickly deviated away from them as my local Discount Tire doesn't sell the toyo brand. (I need to purchase from DT as I have a credit there) The Firestone tires I am sure are a solid bet but they just aren't physically appealing to me. (is it bad to skip over a tire because it looks to plane Jane?) :roll:

I looked into the General tire blowout. I actually read one post on a forum during my research where a guy said his blew out while driving. However, he didn't state if he had been off-roading with this tire and could have damaged it in the process. I brought this issue up with my local DT and they stated that they hadn't heard of any such issues but just that they were a copy of the BFG's. They did say that General (AKA. Continental Tire) did a redesign in the tire in late 2012. The post of the blowout and other general issues I ran across with the tires were all pre-2012. Also, the tire when first released was like the BFG AT/KO and didn't come with a warranty. Since the redo they now come with the 60,000 mile warranty. Needless to say I hope the issue if there was one, has been fixed. (fingers crossed, wouldn't want to find out the hard way.)

I personally don't mind that they are copies. I read a few professional reviews where they stated they are every bit as good at the BFG's then some.

Fourwheeler.com actually tested this tire using a 2005 Pathfinder.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheel ... tire-test/

As for the coopers being "OK". Can you elaborate? I want to know as much as I can before I pull the trigger on tires.

Once again, thanks a bunch for your comment.

not on the rug

tires

Postby not on the rug » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Have you ever driven a truck with the bfg ats on it? They are wonderful offroad tires, but plain and simple, they drive like shit on pavement. They are clunky and lumbering, they corner terribly, and they can feel downright squirrely on dry or wet roads. Unless you are doing a ton of offroad driving, i would avoid the bfg at or the grabber at at all costs.

From the reviews I've read and from 1 friend who ran them on a dodge ram pickup, they are just a middle of the road kind of tire. Not great, not terrible. Just and average performing tire. I also read that they don't wear very well either. To be fair, my friend spends a lot of time offroad and on dirt/gravel roads and he ditched the coopers and went back to bfg ats. So maybe they do ok on the road. I don't have any real firsthand experience with them

DT carries nitto right? A lot of people like the terra grapplers. I have no experience with them, so I can't comment on them really.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:22 pm

I have driven one Jeep with the BFG's. It was a lifted jeep and they drove alright considering how aggressive of an AT they are. Definitely not as road worthy as my rugged terrains but the rugged terrains IMO aren't nearly as rounded in every category.

Speaking of the Nitto terra grapplers, the manager actually suggested them over all my other choices. Said they were a fantastic tire and that he would pick them. I got him to put together a quote and the best price he could do on them was $239 a tire. At that price point I took them off the list as they are $100 more per tire then the coopers and $70 more then the Grabber AT2. I just can't bring myself to pay $280-$400 more for a set when they are just as big of a gamble...

Right now, I am torn 50/50 on the Cooper ATP and the Grabber AT2. I called the manager back and asked him what sort of exchange program they had and he said there was a 30day ride guarantee. Maybe ill just choose one and if it doesn't work out I can swap to the other hoping its better.

Thanks again for your suggestions and comments.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:36 pm

Nitto is owned by Toyo Tires. The Toyo Open Country's and Nitto's Terra Grapplers are the same tire structurally, just with different tread patterns. Both are very good tires, as well as the Nitto Crosstek.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:05 am

Thanks to all that have voted. (all 2 of you) :shock:

I plan to order tires Monday.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Have you looked into the Goodyear "Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar" They are the replacement to the silent Armors and come in a P rating and are sold at discount tire. Great warranty, and a great all around tire. I had the silent armors on my old lifted 99 Jeep and they were great.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:01 pm

volvite wrote:Have you looked into the Goodyear "Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar" They are the replacement to the silent Armors and come in a P rating and are sold at discount tire. Great warranty, and a great all around tire. I had the silent armors on my old lifted 99 Jeep and they were great.
I looked into them early in my research. They seem like a good all around tire but a bit out of my price range. Good recommendation though on a positively reviewed tire. I appreciate the input.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:15 pm

I feel qualified to comment on this one as me of several guys that work under me has owned the tires you are looking at so here goes... Let's start with the BFG's .. The BFG Rugged T is a desent tire that does nothing exactly right but does not bomb out in any area either I had this tire on my Toyota 4 Runner. They had desent wear were ok in the snow not great but just ok. In the rain I thought they were middle of the road as well. Not a steller off road tire but desent on road manners. Did I want to run out and buy another set? .. No I felt I could do better. The exact Cooper you mention the ATP I can't comment on directly although two guys I work with have the Cooper AT3 tires and they are impressive all the way around in every area they do quiet well and from talking with the guys I work with they both feel they are the best (all around) A/T tires on the market today. In my area (Western MA) the Cooper A/T 3 seems to be quite popular I see them all over the place and I am a bit of A tire nut I always ask people what do you think of them and everyone I talk to seems to really like this tire. I may buy a set for my PF this winter? It's between the Cooper AT/3 or the Gen Grabber A/T you are looking at?? As far as the Gen Grabber A/T tire you are looking at I did own a set also on my Toyota 4Runner and also two guys at work have them on there trucks so the Gen is a a real good tire in a few areas esp snow! This tire really does well In The snow and rain. The tire does wear quickly I have found and should be rotated often. Reasonably quiet on road and the ride was desent a little mushy going around corners but that did not bother me much as I don't corner hard it's a truck for god sake! .. If you live in the snow belt and you are looking for one of the best A/T's in the snow the General A/T is a great choice. Just a comment on BFG A/T's this is a great off road tire but is marginal on road and bested by the General in several key areas, rain and snow performance on the Gen is better esp rain I have never felt the BFG A/T was a good tire on wet roads. They do seem to wear well though but I feel the tire is bested by others in overall on road ability. I do have a relative that just purchased the Toyo A/T tires many like here but he just got them so I can't comment yet. And I just thought I would mention the above comments are what me or my co- workers expierence have had with the tires mentioned your results may differ.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: tires

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:15 am

not on the rug wrote:Have you ever driven a truck with the bfg ats on it? They are wonderful offroad tires, but plain and simple, they drive like shit on pavement. They are clunky and lumbering, they corner terribly, and they can feel downright squirrely on dry or wet roads.
I'll second this.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:23 pm

Kestral wrote:I feel qualified to comment on this one as me of several guys that work under me has owned the tires you are looking at so here goes... Let's start with the BFG's .. The BFG Rugged T is a desent tire that does nothing exactly right but does not bomb out in any area either I had this tire on my Toyota 4 Runner. They had desent wear were ok in the snow not great but just ok. In the rain I thought they were middle of the road as well. Not a steller off road tire but desent on road manners. Did I want to run out and buy another set? .. No I felt I could do better. The exact Cooper you mention the ATP I can't comment on directly although two guys I work with have the Cooper AT3 tires and they are impressive all the way around in every area they do quiet well and from talking with the guys I work with they both feel they are the best (all around) A/T tires on the market today. In my area (Western MA) the Cooper A/T 3 seems to be quite popular I see them all over the place and I am a bit of A tire nut I always ask people what do you think of them and everyone I talk to seems to really like this tire. I may buy a set for my PF this winter? It's between the Cooper AT/3 or the Gen Grabber A/T you are looking at?? As far as the Gen Grabber A/T tire you are looking at I did own a set also on my Toyota 4Runner and also two guys at work have them on there trucks so the Gen is a a real good tire in a few areas esp snow! This tire really does well In The snow and rain. The tire does wear quickly I have found and should be rotated often. Reasonably quiet on road and the ride was desent a little mushy going around corners but that did not bother me much as I don't corner hard it's a truck for god sake! .. If you live in the snow belt and you are looking for one of the best A/T's in the snow the General A/T is a great choice. Just a comment on BFG A/T's this is a great off road tire but is marginal on road and bested by the General in several key areas, rain and snow performance on the Gen is better esp rain I have never felt the BFG A/T was a good tire on wet roads. They do seem to wear well though but I feel the tire is bested by others in overall on road ability. I do have a relative that just purchased the Toyo A/T tires many like here but he just got them so I can't comment yet. And I just thought I would mention the above comments are what me or my co- workers expierence have had with the tires mentioned your results may differ.
Thanks for taking the time and sharing your first hand experience with those tires. This has helped me make my decision.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:30 pm

So I ordered some tires.

First off, I would like to say Discount tires customer service is awesome!!

I went up to the local DT to order complete the ordering process of the tires. The manager offered to order the two sets of tires I was contemplating. He ordered the set of BFG Rugged Terrains and the General Grabber AT2's. He said come in check them out, weigh them and then decide. They should be in Thursday or sooner.

I'll keep post pictures upon the install.

Bandy1080

Postby Bandy1080 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:22 am

How loud are the grabbers on the highway and any decline in MPG?

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:22 am

Bandy1080 wrote:How loud are the grabbers on the highway and any decline in MPG?
I will know in the next couple days. I am waiting for them to come in. I am almost positive I'll see a loss in MPG's as I am going from the stock 30.5" to 32.1", plus, an increase in around 8lbs per tire.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”