Looking to get new tires soon... Help me decide?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Which tire?

Cooper ATP
10%
General Grabber AT2
60%
BFG Rugged Terrain
30%

Total votes: 10

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:41 pm

Ok, so I had the General Grabber AT2's installed on this past Saturday. I can't give a complete review YET. I have only driven on them about 15 miles as I went to the alignment shop right after getting them installed only to find out that my rear lower control arm bolts are seized. They told me a few things to try which hopefully will get them to budge. I will be attempting this over the weekend. If I cant break them loose I guess I'll bring out my saw-saw and cut them off and just replace the lower control arms. (from a quick search it seems this is pretty common on the pathfinders and xterras)

Nevertheless, I can say they look AMAZING. They are the 275/65/18 and I do get very slight rubbing about middle of the front fender liner. The rubbing is very, very slight. It only happens when the weight of the vehicle is shifting to that particular side as it happens maybe 3 out of 10 turns. No rubbing in the rear. I will do a more complete review with pictures once I get this alignment situation under control.

Path-Less

Update...

Postby Path-Less » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:06 pm

So I have had the tires 500 miles now and I love them. They are a great overall tire with superb on road manners. They are excellent in the rain and rather quiet considering how aggressive they are. Just a very slight hum around the city (pavement quality makes huge difference in hum) but on the highway with windows up I can't hear them at all.

I have noticed a ~2mpg loss in the city but a consistent 1mpg gain on the highway. I would say the gearing of going up in size is the single largest negative, however it's still plenty drivable.

Here are a few pics I've taken of them. Not great pics...

Also, I had my spare powder coated matte black with a low gloss clear. The wheel had some corrosion from being underneath for the past 6 years. I do plan to have the others done in the near future.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:52 pm

What size did you end up going with?

Reason I ask, you have the same pathfinder I do. I ended up selling my 18 LE rims and picked up a set of 17 Frontier rims to put on some 265/70/17 duratracs. It's a 31.6 as I didn't want to go 32s with the 18 LE rim and have the possibility of rubbing. Duratracs didn't come any smaller for an 18 inch wheel. It's the wife's daily driver and I didn't need to hear any complaining from her.

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:48 pm

volvite wrote:What size did you end up going with?

Reason I ask, you have the same pathfinder I do. I ended up selling my 18 LE rims and picked up a set of 17 Frontier rims to put on some 265/70/17 duratracs. It's a 31.6 as I didn't want to go 32s with the 18 LE rim and have the possibility of rubbing. Duratracs didn't come any smaller for an 18 inch wheel. It's the wife's daily driver and I didn't need to hear any complaining from her.
volvite, Have a resent photo? I'm thinking of doing the same, downsizing to a 17"

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:58 pm

I went with the SL (standard load) 275/65/18. I had alittle rubbing issue right when installed but once properly aligned all rubbing went away... However, I noticed tonight when in REVERSE after about 20mph the front rubs slightly when turning. :shock:

also I run stock 35psi cold air temp, it rises to around 38 when warm. Checked via a digital meter. The in dash tire pressure readout will show 33 cold and 36 warm.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:00 pm

BigEz wrote:

volvite, Have a resent photo? I'm thinking of doing the same, downsizing to a 17"
BigEZ, wanna sell your set of 18's if you downsize? I wouldn't mind having a spare set?

Not to get off topic in this thread but.... I love your ride. Are you still using the Rage Roof rack? How's it affect your fuel economy on the highway?

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Path-Less wrote: BigEZ, wanna sell your set of 18's if you downsize? I wouldn't mind having a spare set?

Not to get off topic in this thread but.... I love your ride. Are you still using the Rage Roof rack? How's it affect your fuel economy on the highway?
Yes, I was just thinking the same thing... Selling them, that is. Let me get my new rear lower links, bushings and shocks installed next week and do a little research on what I will replace them with. I would like find some after market 17" rims that will allow a little wider tire without sticking out too much or needing spacers. This damn lug pattern limits our selection.

Yes, still using the roof rack and no real effect on MPG, but it's about 2" too high to fit into most parking garages I visit.... 7' seems to be the average parking clearance, and I'm at 7' 2". So I need to park on the street often. Another reason I want to downside from 33" tires.

Thanks for comp.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:33 pm

BigEz wrote:

Here are the pictures I have of the tire set up. They are not new as I have 50K miles on these duratracs and am need to replace them prior to winter.

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:42 pm

Thanks, looks great. I was at the Goodyear store yesterday... Looked at the Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. Less of an aggressive pattern. Not as beefy looking or as wide as the Duratracs, but still only 43lbs per tire and since by mileage is about 85% high speed highway, might elect for comfort over off-road grip. I see no snow in Texas, and my daily off-round is mainly hard pack & dirt roads. In a year of heavy use, I've never had to use more than 4x4 auto. I think this Pathy would climb a tree if I helped it over the first limb.

Thanks for this snap & info!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:17 pm

BigEz wrote:Thanks, looks great. I was at the Goodyear store yesterday... Looked at the Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. Less of an aggressive pattern. Not as beefy looking or as wide as the Duratracs, but still only 43lbs per tire and since by mileage is about 85% high speed highway, might elect for comfort over off-road grip. I see no snow in Texas, and my daily off-round is mainly hard pack & dirt roads. In a year of heavy use, I've never had to use more than 4x4 auto. I think this Pathy would climb a tree if I helped it over the first limb.

Thanks for this snap & info!
I too am looking at the All terrains as replacements for my duratracs. They used to be the Silent Armors but those are no longer made. Since the wife does most of the driving and the All terrains/silent armors are great ATs as well it will really depend on the deal that I can find. I had the silent armors on my Grand Cherokee before and they performed well in all conditions. They would probably weigh less and might help me get some better MPGs. Not that I bought the pathfinder for MPGs but any bit extra I'll take.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Volvite, those tires look nice and beefy on the 17's. A little more rubber for the cushion of the butt is always nice.

Bigez, if you are looking for something semi rugged and good on gas I would highly recommend the BFG rugged terrains. Not to be confused with the rugged trails. They are suppose to be the lowest or near the lowest with rolling resistance and lightweight. I was getting around 17-18mpg city and 20-21 highway with them.

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:11 pm

Path-Less wrote:Volvite, those tires look nice and beefy on the 17's. A little more rubber for the cushion of the butt is always nice.

Bigez, if you are looking for something semi rugged and good on gas I would highly recommend the BFG rugged terrains. Not to be confused with the rugged trails. They are suppose to be the lowest or near the lowest with rolling resistance and lightweight. I was getting around 17-18mpg city and 20-21 highway with them.
Thanks, I will take a look at them tonight. Spent the last 2 days on rear suspension, new lower links, bushings, shocks, a misaligned & unseated right rear spring (spacer installed wrong at 4x4 big box store), brakes and full alignment. So I'm about to pull the trigger on tires.

I drove about 200 miles today on roads I know far too well. It rides the smoothest it has been since I bought it!! ... but now I can really feel the heaviness of those big 60lbs tires. I was about to order the Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar, in 275/65R18, tomorrow. I think I'm going to stay with the 18", only because I didn't see any decent 17" OMEs on Craigslist, and I'm not ready to research third party rims.

More MPG would be nice, but a smooth, high speed ride is the target. I'll check them out.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:43 am

I have a set of 10 ply Nexen Roadian AT Pro LT245/75R16 @ 36 psi and honestly they are the best all terrain tire I have ever had. I'm born and bred jeep guy who's owned or have driven in many off road vehicles of all sorts with many tires of all different brands.

Just for example, I live in NJ and about two weeks ago we got a good dusting of about 8 inches or so, I maintained 65 in 2 wheel drive down the garden state parkway and never once puckerd my ass. There wasn't a time ( unless I was having some fun) where I felt out of control or any sort of slippage. Some of you say that's idiotic and in many cases it is, but I'm very comfortable driving in crappy low vis situations. With these tires specifically I haven't had any issues with hydroplaning in wet conditions (yet). In light mud they do incredibly well, but I don't suggest any thick mud as they will cake up and get slick. For an all terrain tire they do tend to throw small rocks and some dirt but nothing bad. I wouldn't hesitate to put this tire against any at out there. They put BFGS to shame and I was a fan of them until now. I've done my fair share of mounting and balancing tires (worked at a Goodyear) and these balanced with minimal weights , & did I mention there is 0 road noise?
Give them a look you seriously can't beat them for the price

http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/nexen/ro ... 7Aod3mQAXw

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”