TPMS Light

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:34 am

When the TPMS light stays on, it's indicating a problem with the system. What you would need to do is have the codes read with a scan tool capable of reading BCM codes. The most common problem is one or more of the TPMS sensors has/have failed. Each sensor has it's own battery that is non-serviceable, so you have to replace the sensor when the battery does go bad. Generally, the sensors are good for around 6 or 7 years, +/-. If all of the sensors are original, chances are that the others aren't far behind, if they are still good. If this is your case, I would recommend you replace all four sensors. My choice for replacements would be Dorman TPMS sensors. You can get them for about $40 each at Rockauto.com, or half the price of genuine Nissan sensors, and they have a lifetime warranty. The sensors will need to be ID registered, which requires an activation tool and a capable scan tool. The dealer can do this, as well as some tire shops and independent repair shops.

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:43 pm

Electric tape

NisZ

Postby NisZ » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Sorry for piggy-backing on your post, OP.

When my light comes on, it blinks first for a little while before staying on.... but eventually goes away. My initial suspicion was the TPMS sensors but now that I want the light to come on, it won't.... :roll:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:59 pm

That's a common issue when one or more of the batteries in the TPMS sensors are getting weak. They tend to work sometimes and then they don't. When the weather starts getting cold, a weak sensor will often not work until the air in the tire starts heating up due to the friction of the tire against the road, which warms the sensor and it'll start working again. Even with the light not currently "on," you can still use a scan tool to access the trouble codes. One thing to keep in mind is that unless you relearn your TPMS sensors every time you rotate your tires, you may not be able to tell which sensor is bad by the code. For example, the last time the sensors were programmed, a given wheel may have been moved from it's location, so what was once the left, front tire, is now the left rear tire, but it will still set a code for the left, front if the problem is in that particular wheel.

BAMAGRAD1995

Postby BAMAGRAD1995 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:09 pm

How do you test to see which of the five TPMS is failing due to dying sensor battery???

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:23 pm

I'm not sure if any of the R51's have five TPMS sensors; the earlier ones only had four and the spare had a regular tire valve. So, if you are trying to pinpoint one weak battery, you need to have the TPMS sensors programmed in their proper location if the tires have been previously rotated and not relearned to their new positions. Clear the trouble codes. Operate the vehicle until the TPMS warning light comes back on and get the codes read; there is a TPMS trouble code for battery low voltage and it will give the location of said sensor. Also, if the battery is dead while programming the sensors, the registration process will not be able to complete. As you use the trigger tool at each wheel and the system recognizes the sensor, the exterior lights will flash. If the lights don't flash while using the trigger tool at one of the wheels, you'll know the sensor is not working. Also, if all sensors have 5 or more years on them and one fails, you are probably wasting time and money replacing just one unless you have the equipment to program the sensors. I say this because if one fails, the others are likely not far behind. If you replace one at a time and have to take it to a shop and do so, you're going to be paying four times to re-program all of the sensors rather than just than replacing them all and programming them all at one time.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”