Violent shaking at 40-45mph

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

ape69877

Violent shaking at 40-45mph

Postby ape69877 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Hello all,

So this weekend I decided to change my broken CV axles in the front of my 1989 XE. As a lot of you may know, it was a big pain in the butt. But I was able to get them in and put it all back together. Now here's the problem, when I'm driving down the road, the steering wheel shakes really bad around 40 mph, but when I accelerate past it, it stops. It didn't have this problem before. Also while I was underneath I cracked the torsion bars a little to match the height in the rear. Would that cause severe shaking? Any suggestions, or ideas? I've read that my tires may need to be balanced, but why? All I did was take them off the truck and put them back on. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:50 am

When you change the ride height by adjusting the torsion bars, you also change the camber adjustment. I would recommend you have a wheel alignment performed or you may be causing tires to wear out prematurely, not to mention the affect it will have on your handling. As far as this causing your vibration concern, I not so sure. You don't mention if you replaced the axles with new or used parts; it's possible one of the shafts is bent, out of balance or has a bad joint.

agilliam777

Postby agilliam777 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:15 pm

im assuming when you broke the axle you put a lump in the tire, same thing happened when i bought mine, try putting your spare on and see if it ges away. (it may be one or both)

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”