How big is my Front brake rotor? ;)

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Path-Less

How big is my Front brake rotor? ;)

Postby Path-Less » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:11 pm

I am about todo a complete brake overhaul and was going to buy all OEM Nissan parts but figured I could save a few bucks if I went with aftermarket (napa, autozone, advanced auto, etc.) I noticed for my particular model 2008 V8 LE it shows a 11.6" rotor and a 12.6" front rotor.

Normally, I would just go out to the garage and measure the rotor, but I have been tinkering with the pathfinder so much lately my wife would prolly stab me in the right eye if I told her I was going outside to measure a brake rotor.

So I figured one of you would know which size I have?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:25 pm

You should have the 12.6" if you have a V8 LE. I would pass on the genuine Nissan brakes. Their rotors have been prone to warpage and I've had squeaking issues with my genuine Nissan front pads (made by Hitachi) until I finally replaced them with Akebono PRO ACT ceramics. I went with Raybestos Advanced Technology brake rotors. I've been very happy with them. I've also used the Akebono's on a 2008 and used Wagner rotors and have been happy with them, as well. Check out Rockauto.com.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:42 am

smj999smj wrote:You should have the 12.6" if you have a V8 LE. I would pass on the genuine Nissan brakes. Their rotors have been prone to warpage and I've had squeaking issues with my genuine Nissan front pads (made by Hitachi) until I finally replaced them with Akebono PRO ACT ceramics. I went with Raybestos Advanced Technology brake rotors. I've been very happy with them. I've also used the Akebono's on a 2008 and used Wagner rotors and have been happy with them, as well. Check out Rockauto.com.
Thanks for the info. Just ordered Centic Cryo treated rotors and the Akebono PRO ACT Pads from Rockauto.com

Their Prices are hard to beat even with shipping. Saved over $125 from the Nissan quoted price.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:23 am

wicked. I went with the Centric mid grades (not the cryo) about 3 years ago after my OEM rotors warped. They have performed flawlessly.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:31 pm

Yeah the cryo rotors were just a few dollars more and with a heavy vehicle like the pathfinder I figured it could only help prevent warpage. Once parts arrive later in the week I will provide a detailed how-to on installing the brakes and rotors the proper way.

labsy

Postby labsy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:51 am

What about swapping 11,65'' (296 mm) rotors (EU models with 2.5 diesel engine) with bigger 12,6'' (320 mm) rotors (V8 LE Us and Taiwan models)?
From the original spec table below, difference is in dimensions of cylinder, pads and rotors, but rotor thickness is the same and I guess they might fit? Maybe also replacing brake pads, if they would fit?

Anyone tried yet?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:47 am

If you could do it, I would think you would need the calipers and mounting bracket, pads, rotors and "possibly" the 18" wheels w/ tires, because I'm not sure if the 17" wheels will clear the factory V8 brakes or not. Stillen does make a big brake kit for the R51, but it's expensive:

http://www.stillen.com/products/brake-k ... Pathfinder

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:46 am

Yes, you are probably right. Despite I am sure the bigger brakes would fit within 17'' rims, I've calculated rough brakepads-to-rotor touch surface and found out:
- with bigger rotors the friction surface is roughly 5400 mm2
- with smaller rotors the friction surface is roughly 6600 mm2
Which - again very roughly - compensates larger rotor diameter with larger pads with smaller rotors, so I guess I will stay at factory setup :)

mkarlsson

Postby mkarlsson » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi guys,

I have an european model with 320mm rotors, I don't think european models just use the 296mm ones. Mine is from 2005 with the 2.5 (128kw) engine with 17" wheels. I did check the dimensions of my rotors before I bought the replacement part. So the 320mm rotors will fit in the stock 17" rims.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”