VIBRATION....ugggggggh

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

khavel

VIBRATION....ugggggggh

Postby khavel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:57 am

OK, so I thought I'd share my experience since I know there's lots of people on here like me, looking to find a similar problem to diagnose and maybe save a little cash, and a whole lot of headache! The last few months I've had a vibration show up over 60 mph. Its not terrible, just anoying, an obviously not normal. So I had one tire that was way worn compared to the others, since I've slacked on getting an alignment. So I just figured i'd deal with it until i could get tires and an alignment. (Also found this forum and did the 'bypass surgery' and confirmed that my ATF and Coolant both looked great) So got a new set of tires yesterday, balanced, and a four wheel alignment. Hit the road ready for a smooth ride, NOT. The vibration is still there. Took it back to the tire place to have them re-balance the fronts. While doing that they told me my right front would'nt balance without using 'excessive weight', told me it looked like some damage to the wheel there in that spot. They tried to sell me a new wheel, but i just told them to drop my spare (which is full size and IDENTICAL to the OEM wheels) and swap out the tires. Took it to the highway, hit 60 mph, SAME VIBRATION! So now Im getting perturbed. I crawled under there to inspect the drive shafts and ujoints, but don't really know what to look for. The only thing I could tell is the rear joint on the front shaft seemed to have SLIGHT play and I could see where a small circular weight was missing on the rear driveshaft. There was one weight with an equally sized circular 'clean' spot on the shaft where a weight probably was. So what should I do next????? (2005 SE OR 4WD 95K)

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:10 pm

have your driveshaft(s) balanced and new u-joints as necessary, if necessary
if there is a damage issue with a wheel, repair or replace it
makes me wonder who would have paid for the new recommended wheel if you had them replace it with no benefit

khavel

Postby khavel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:32 pm

Thats the route I'm going. I think I'll start with the front shaft since thats the one I've read about failing the most often and I could JUST barely move that one. Also I noticed the rear ujoint in that front shaft has 'flung' off some reddish looking stuff, like maybe some rusty fluid and I didn't see that on any other Ujoint. So I 'll start there. IF its still vibrating, I have the rear shaft balanced. I'm ready to see some results after droping 1K plus on tires and alignment, I don't expect it to ride like a Caddy, but this isn't working out! (The 'damaged wheel is now my spare, I doubted there was much wrong with it anyways)

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:09 pm

Sounds like u-joints. If you can feel play in it that's the likely culprit. My front shaft was bent at the same time...

khavel

Postby khavel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Since I'm not too comfortable getting into doing the ujoint replacement myself I set up a day next week to take it to my mechanic (local guy, no chain, small shop, awesome!) I also spent a good 45 min under the Pathy tonight in the garage with a flashlight really looking hard and both the front and rear shafts and all of the ujoints. The rear seems just fine to me, very tight in all directions, no play, looks normal minus that one spot where a small weight must have been. But the front shaft has me wondering. I'm betting the rear ujoint on that front shaft is the culprit of this stupid vibration. It has definate play and has for sure leaked out some 'corrosion paste' of some kind because you can see where its flung it all around that area. Also I looked real good for any leakage on the front diff and the transfer case since I've heard having that shaft vibrating like that can mess up the seals. No leaks so fingers crossed after those front ujoints get replaced, the vibration will be gone!

khavel

Postby khavel » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:36 am

UPDATE: I just picked up the Pathfinder after having both U Joints replaced on the front driveshaft. It rides like brand new! Absolutely no vibration whatsoever! Does anyone have any input as to why the joints on the front driveshaft are so prone to failure? I don't use 4wd that often so those joints don't have any load on them that often. Anyway, I'm very thankful that vibration is HISTORY :P

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:51 am

khavel wrote:HISTORY :P
history is good!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:52 pm

khavel wrote:UPDATE: I just picked up the Pathfinder after having both U Joints replaced on the front driveshaft. It rides like brand new! Absolutely no vibration whatsoever! Does anyone have any input as to why the joints on the front driveshaft are so prone to failure? I don't use 4wd that often so those joints don't have any load on them that often. Anyway, I'm very thankful that vibration is HISTORY :P
I don't think we'll ever know "why?" I would just attribute it, based on the number of failed U-joints posted on the site, to inferior parts. Add it to the list of fuel sending units and radiators and other parts that commonly fail on our R51's.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”