Deepest snow?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Deepest snow?

Postby Kestral » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:17 am

Now that it's getting close to winter let's hear what's the deepest snow you have driven through with your R51 Pathfinder and how do you feel it performs in the white stuff? I can't comment on my PF in the snow yet as I just got my 2012 in late spring but I know its on its way here In Western MA. We typically get a significant amount of the white stuff every year.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:59 am

Did a lot of 2' to 2' 6" with 3'+ish drifts and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Even from a standstill in 2' it clawed and went right through. This is off-road with known good soil beneath plus the setup in my signature. I was pushing snow but still had no complaints. Might be able to find a short video of it on the youtube, I'll post here if I do. Otherwise on road anything up to maybe a foot before the plows would get there. The only thing I ever dealt with was the wide tires sucking me into the ruts.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:06 am

If you this works this was in the shallower stuff at the beginning.
http://youtu.be/XloJ-4onab0

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:04 am

That Video is impressive my 06 Toyota 4Runner could not have made that it was not that good in the snow no matter what tires I ran. Prob was you could not shut off the traction control so it would just sit there and make noise if you gave it gas. Looking forward to trying out my Pathy In some deep drifts!

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:34 pm

I was satisfied with how it operated in the snow. Need to find some deep stuff and try it again.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:04 am

blink32 wrote:Did a lot of 2' to 2' 6" with 3'+ish drifts and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Even from a standstill in 2' it clawed and went right through. This is off-road with known good soil beneath plus the setup in my signature. I was pushing snow but still had no complaints. Might be able to find a short video of it on the youtube, I'll post here if I do. Otherwise on road anything up to maybe a foot before the plows would get there. The only thing I ever dealt with was the wide tires sucking me into the ruts.

ok, so you mean 2-3ft of powdery/newly fallen type snow? yeah i'd be comfortable with that as well.

however for snow that's hardpacked i can only get through about 18in of it before it seems like my frame starts to 'float' thereby giving me less traction to grip with. -almost- got stuck up at rabbit ears pass in a drift that only came up to my rocksliders. it was super windy and the blowing snow was making visibility rather difficult. took me what seemed like 5 minutes of just keeping it in 4lo at 4500 rpm before i finally chewed out of it.

this was after i was finally able to back out. i only made it slightly past that first drift where you can see where the frame flattened the drift inbetween my tires.

was setting up for this shot:

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:41 am

Wow great pix I ESP like the last one looks like it belongs on a Pathfinder brochure.

Return to “R51 General Chat”