Replaced blower motor, no air coming from front vents

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

dragondesign

Replaced blower motor, no air coming from front vents

Postby dragondesign » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:00 am

Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out. I've been going through some heater problems on my 2005 LE, auto climate system. I'll put it in point form to make it easier to read. Hoping someone can help me out quickly because I need to take it on the highway in a week!

- Everything worked fine one day driving home from work (I work out of town), proper air volume and heat
- The next morning the blower motor didn't work in cold weather
- Moved my vehicle into a heated garage and after warming up the blower motor would turn on.
- Didn't want to risk having it cut out again on the way to work because I wouldn't be able to heat or defrost in the Canadian winter, so I ordered a replacement blower motor and the variable blower control (VBC) module.
- Swapped out the VBC, blower motor and changed the cabin air filter while i was at it. Turned the vehicle on and the blower motor worked fine
- Blower motor speed is now adjustable but no air is coming out of the vents. At highway speeds a small amount of air comes out but not enough to defrost the window.
- I can switch modes (defrost, front vents, bottom vents) and the faint air at highway speeds will move to different zones so the blend door actuator should still be good.

The problem could be one of the other blower doors but I don't know which one or how to get to it, does anyone have any ideas? I don't have access to parts right now but even if I could force it open while I wait for a replacement that would be acceptable.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:48 am

can you drop the blower motor to see if its trying to turn?

I had a similar experience, and am also located in the frozen north.

What I found was that during a period of very cold weather, then warmer weather, and they really cold weather again, that some condensation got into the motor, froze, and prevented the motor from turning. I removed the motor, dried it out, and it seemed to be fine afterwards. I'll try to find the post I put up back then, it was a few years ago.

t

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:50 am

Here is my post from a few years ago:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ower+motor

dragondesign

Postby dragondesign » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks for the post - I had read it before and wondered if that could have been the problem, but since i replaced the fan and had a different problem. Before it wasn't working at all on any speed, after it ran great but wasn't getting any volume out the vents.

Went out into a snowy parking lot tonight at -20 and took it all apart again. Took the cabin air filters to feel the air direction. It felt like it was pushing up rather than pulling down, but i wasn't positive. Swapped the relay out for the other to see if that was telling it to turn the wrong way somehow, but there was no change. So I pulled the motor again. Lo and behold the fans on the new part are aimed in the opposite direction! I put the old fan back in and everything works like normal again.

The fan housing is identical along with all the plugs and the fan blade portion looks the exact same, except the fins are the opposite direction, so it was sucking air back into the intake rather than pushing it out. If it cuts out agin in the future then i'll take it apart and try cleaning it like you did. Thanks for the reply.

***for anyone ordering a replacement blower motor, make sure you compare the direction of the fan blades before install, this was a factory part (part # 27375-ZF00A) ***

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”