Made the right choice

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Made the right choice

Postby Kestral » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Before the snow came calling I went back and forth as to what size tire to purchase for my Pathy as well as what brand and tread pattern. I decided to stick with the stock size of 245/75/16 as I wanted the most weight per square inch on the tire for winter traction. I went with Mastercraft Courser AXT tires. The tires are made by Cooper tire and are a pretty aggressive tire for an A/T tire. I got them for $130.00 each installed and I felt that was a good deal so here is the low down.

The ride is about the same as the Grabber AW tires that came stock with the truck even though the Mastercraft tires have a better load capacity rating 109s for the Generals and 111s for the Mastercraft.

The noise level was a big surprise the Mastercrafts are quite quiet a slight hum at some low speeds and around corners nothing annoying.

I notice no difference in the handling of the truck with the tire change the new tires handle just as well as the Generals in the dry.

The wet traction with the new tires is remarkable prob the best A/T tire in the rain I have ever had going through big rain I have exceptional confidence in the truck. I had to make an emergency stop in the rain recently and I thought for sure I was going to hit the car in front of me but my Pathy stopped with authority.

As for the snow this tire is fantastic in the wite stuff in all areas it has exceeded my expectations. Some of this may have to do with the size I decided on as the 245 section with has a high weight per square inch compared to say a 265 or larger tire

Anyway I just thought I would share my tire results.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”