Air Lift 1000 Install With Pictures

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

AtlantaRuffian

Air Lift 1000 Install With Pictures

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:34 pm

I finally got around to putting my set of Air Lift 1000s in and figured I'd share some pics of my install in case anyone was interested.

To start, I opted to separate each airbag and run them on independent airlines. I wanted easy access to the valves and a clean factory look. I decided to modify a bracket to attach it to the trailer hitch at the already existing hole for a 7-pin conversion mount. Here's the Home Depot bought bracket I decided on after many failed candidates. I drilled out one of the holes on one side to attach to the hitch and two holes on the other part for the valve stem assemblies to run through. For comparison, the bracket on the right is the "after" and the left is the "before".

I made use of the other brackets that turned out to be duds and made a Frankenstein of a stand to sit the bracket on while I painted it in my state of the art painting booth...

I roughed up the bracket with some steel wool and after reading some positive reviews used Krylon's semi-flat black Rust Tough paint. It went on really nicely and took about 4 light coats to get a nice finish.

Here's the bracket installed with the air valves attached. The paint was a pretty spot on match with the hitch's color.

So, after reading a few install write-ups, I used the method of running the airline through the top of the coil and attaching it to the airbag BEFORE trying to get the airbag in the coil. After wrestling the bag into the coil I cannot imagine doing it after putting the airbag in.
As many others have done, I ran the line through the coil (I recommend bringing the line through the coil's second-from-the-bottom gap as it's much wider than the bottom space and about midway up the height of the coil). I attached the line to the airbag, used my knee to push as much air out as possible and used the rubber cap that was on the airbag on the open end of the airline to seal the bag and keep it deflated.

The driver side was a breeze to set up because you don't have the exhaust to worry about and plenty of spots to ziptie the airline. I ran the line along the wiring for the hitch's electrical.

Sorry for the blurry photo, but here's the driver side line running into the back of the bracket with the valve stems:

The passenger side is where I strayed from the paths I've seen most commonly taken as far as running airline. Because of where I put the valve stems, I had to figure out a way to run the line along the inside of the body using zipties and staying as far away from the exhaust as possible (the instructions recommend a 7" gap if you don't put in some kind of heat shield). The line comes out of the top of the coil right by the muffler and on the inner side of the frame rail.

Because there was no way the zipties I had were long enough to get around the line if I ran it on the top of the frame rail, I took advantage of holes in the hollow rail and fished the line past the exhaust inside of the rail itself. There are two holes in the rail about 6" behind where the coil sits where I put the line in. It's a little tough to make out in the photos but here's the line coming from the bag and then into the frame:

A few inches behind where the rail clears the exhaust, there are more holes. I pulled the line through on the outer side of the rail in between the body panel and the frame. Here is the line coming out and then running along the side of the rail and over a crossmember towards the rear bumper.

I secured the line to a part of the rear hitch on the passenger side:

The only way I could find to run the line along the inside of the rear bumper keeping it above the open area below the bumper cover and hidden from view was through a gap behind the styrofoam block attached to the rear bumper cover.

At the end I put the line through a hole on the little metal arm that the spare tire sits against when it's on. I was a little worried the tire might pinch the line, but luckily there's plenty of clearance.

Here are the two bags installed before pressurizing them.

This is what my bags looked like after filling them to 35 psi to begin with and before I fully lowered the truck back onto the ground.

I've had the bags in for about 3 weeks now and have to say they make the rear end of the truck smarten right up. It feels like a whole new animal. After some testing, I found that I like them at about 13-14psi for normal daily driving. I haven't towed with them yet, but I can guarantee it'll be completely different experience than towing without.

Hope y'all enjoyed.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:55 pm

Awesome post and great pictures. Thanks for taking the time and posting this. I am going to install mine over the weekend if the weather is nice. I am tired of the back end of this thing when I have the car loaded with kids and gadgets.

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:10 am

Thanks a lot. I figured you can never have too many write ups on installs to reference. You'll really enjoy the difference the bags make. I thought it was a lot of it was hype, but I'm really impressed with the difference. Worth every penny.

MountainPath

air lift.....

Postby MountainPath » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:22 am

Great pics and writeup. Curious, you say under 15 pounds for yours an have seen others say 10-13 as well. I put them on a 2007 with 33" and 3 inch lift along with rancho shocks/lift. I have 30 pounds in mine an still not sure if the truck is really level. I put the ARB bumper on (winch goes in sometime in January), and then added tiregate rear spare. When i added the full spare that made rear squat a little. Just not sure these bags are going to get me where i need to be.

psinsyd

Postby psinsyd » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:13 pm

Tremendous write-up! This may just be an upgrade I pull the trigger on soon.

Thanks AtlantaRuffian!

psinsyd

Postby psinsyd » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:35 pm

psinsyd wrote:Tremendous write-up! This may just be an upgrade I pull the trigger on soon.

Thanks AtlantaRuffian!
Welp, that didn't take long. Pulled the trigger on this, along with Bilstein HDs in the front and rear.

Once I get the shocks/struts in, I'll look at installing this.

This write-up will be a huge help.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:00 am

8) Great install guide! Thanks!

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:13 pm

What model number is the kit you used?

Thanks for the write up btw!

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:56 am

porksoda wrote:What model number is the kit you used?
I used the Air Lift 1000, model 60810 kit. You have a 4x4 so Air Lift's website will confirm that model for you if you'd like (their site doesn't list a kit for RWD like mine, but they work/fit all the same).

I bought it from Amazon because I have Amazon prime and I'm all for free shipping. Here's a link to the kit I purchased from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/LIFT-60810-1000-A ... lift+60810

Hope you enjoy the airbags if you end up getting them!

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:00 pm

psinsyd wrote:Welp, that didn't take long. Pulled the trigger on this, along with Bilstein HDs in the front and rear.

Once I get the shocks/struts in, I'll look at installing this.

This write-up will be a huge help.
Have you gotten the Bilsteins & Air Lifts in yet? Shocks are the next upgrade on my ever-growing list and I'm definitely leaning toward the Bilsteins. If you install them yourself, you should do a write up!

azaizai

Postby azaizai » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:37 am

So I clicked your link so I could save the item to my wish list (so it will notify me of deals/whathaveyou and it suggests more stuff to buy!

It basically pieced together the HD rancho kit from that other website. Namely: The quicklift loaded front strut, the rancho coil spacer for the rear..and I'm sure I could find the appropriate shock in the back. I had to get out of there before temptation started working my trigger finders...but I'm curious how the pricing worked out.

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:58 am

My airlift 1000's came in this past Saturday. I will probably install them today. I am just trying to figure out other locations to mount the valves. I have seen some people put them in there gas door so I might try that. I mainly want it out of the elements and away from anything that could get it damaged.

JP1548

Postby JP1548 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:08 am

Great write up. I installed my airlift about 2 weeks ago, and it makes a HUGE difference in the handling. I highly recommend this addition. As for the valves, I drilled through the rear bumper, and mounted them on a slight downward angle. I wouldn't worry about them being exposed to the elements, the are the same as tire valve stems.

HoneyMonster256

Postby HoneyMonster256 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:25 pm

Hello All,

I'm looking for the Airlift 1000 airbags, But I'm not sure of the Model Number. What is the correct model number to use?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:37 pm

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”