Air Lift 1000 Install With Pictures

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:14 pm

psinsyd

Postby psinsyd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:47 pm

AtlantaRuffian wrote:
psinsyd wrote:Welp, that didn't take long. Pulled the trigger on this, along with Bilstein HDs in the front and rear.

Once I get the shocks/struts in, I'll look at installing this.

This write-up will be a huge help.
Have you gotten the Bilsteins & Air Lifts in yet? Shocks are the next upgrade on my ever-growing list and I'm definitely leaning toward the Bilsteins. If you install them yourself, you should do a write up!
Hey AtlantaRuffian!

Sorry for the delay in responding. Been way busy with work and haven't visited here in a bit.

Had a shop throw in the Bilsteins.

As far as the AirLifts, I'll probably do those once it gets a little warmer out. Have a garage heater but I enjoy working on the truck much more when it's warmer out.

Today's high was a whopping 5 degrees in SE MI.

I'll probably have the radiator swapped by a dealer before I get around to installing the AirLifts.

NOVA_Pathy06

Postby NOVA_Pathy06 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:40 am

Excellent installation write up. I'll be ordering this soon.

I've order new tires that I will be getting installed soon. Along with the install I'll be getting an alignment but most likely won't be able to install the airlift until sometime after. Does installing the airlift 1000s in any way affect the alignment? If so I'll wait to get aligned after installing the airlift.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:31 pm

I have noticed a difference with the bags filled and empty for alignment issues. I think most of those that have the bags keep them filled about 12 PSI or so which I think does make a difference for the alignment.

NOVA_Pathy06

Postby NOVA_Pathy06 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:13 pm

Thanks for the response. So to follow up, I'm not all that versed in the process of aligning a vehicle but do the bags make that much of a difference in terms of the alignment? Would I want to get the alignment done after the bags are in and at the psi preferred for daily driving?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:25 pm

NOVA_Pathy06 wrote:Thanks for the response. So to follow up, I'm not all that versed in the process of aligning a vehicle but do the bags make that much of a difference in terms of the alignment? Would I want to get the alignment done after the bags are in and at the psi preferred for daily driving?
I always have the bags with the 12/15 PSI I run with and then get it aligned.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:35 pm

regarding the air valves, is it better to run two valves or one?
seems that using one would equalize the pressure at all times, and you wouldn't have to worry about different pressure in one side, should a leak develop
on the other hand, it might allow a pressure shift while cornering or when hitting a bump with one wheel
would that be a good thing, or a bad thing?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:38 pm

eieio wrote:regarding the air valves, is it better to run two valves or one?
seems that using one would equalize the pressure at all times, and you wouldn't have to worry about different pressure in one side, should a leak develop
on the other hand, it might allow a pressure shift while cornering or when hitting a bump with one wheel
would that be a good thing, or a bad thing?
I have each bag on their own valve. As you pointed out if the bags are on the same valve, then you would have the air pushed from one bag to the other in cornering. I would find that counterproductive to what you want the bags to do by stiffening up the saggy springs our Pathfinders have. I think there have been a few members that did run the bags on the same valve and then ended up putting the bags on separate valves.

NOVA_Pathy06

Postby NOVA_Pathy06 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:43 am

What size bolts fit the pre drilled holes for the 7 pin connector on the trailer hitch?

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:52 am

NOVA_Pathy06 wrote:What size bolts fit the pre drilled holes for the 7 pin connector on the trailer hitch?
The bolts are 13mm. Can't recall if there was anything special about their thread pitch, but I'm sure you'll be fine with a couple 13mm machine bolts in different pitches (that is if different pitches are even readily available).

McMac

alignment

Postby McMac » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:53 pm

NOVA_Pathy06 wrote:Excellent installation write up. I'll be ordering this soon.

I've order new tires that I will be getting installed soon. Along with the install I'll be getting an alignment but most likely won't be able to install the airlift until sometime after. Does installing the airlift 1000s in any way affect the alignment? If so I'll wait to get aligned after installing the airlift.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
You got me wondering about the alignment question so I called Airlift technical support about it. They said the Airlift 1000's do not affect the toe and camber in anyway so no alignment is necessary.

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:38 am

Can I do this install without removing both rear tires? I'm pretty hesitant to work underneath my pathfinder without any rear wheels since I dont have those trolley jacks and jack stands, so I'd be relying on the jack my pathfinder came with.

McMac

Postby McMac » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:18 am

I left my tires on because I didn't have that equipment either. I used the factory jack and did one side at a time. It was fine. I'd suggest doing the exhaust side first, since it takes more of the tubing. I ran it up along the top of the frame to avoid the exhaust pipe and used large zip ties to hold it up there. Worked great. The other suggestion someone else made was to connect one end of the tubing to the Airlift before you squeeze it through the spring. With the tires still on, this is a good idea because connecting after it's in there is not that easy. Did it both ways and with tubing on= easier.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:07 am

Followed this how-to pretty much to a tee. Only difference was the spray paint option. Went with some black enamel I had lying around.

Wish I knew how to post photos or I'd show a picture of the braces. But, if you go to Home Depot look in the cabinet section and they are called Everbilt Double-Wide Corner Braces (1.5"). Will run you $3 and change.

Lastly, anyone know the bolt specs for the two pre-drilled holes on the factory trailer hitch receiver? I tried M7 size 1.0 thread type (fine) which was snug by hand but once I knocked all the oxidation off the holes the bolt was loose. I went back and grabbed an M8-1.0 and it's too big to even permit the option to cross thread it if I wanted to. Stopped by Nissan and they were no help. Couldn't find a part number other than the mounting bolts for the receiver assembly. He did say Nissan nearly always uses metric so I'm not inclined to grab a 5/16 and try that. Any help on the proper bolt thread size and pitch is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Redcliff

Postby Redcliff » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:06 am

Went to Amazon to order the lifts and when I put in my car (2012 Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4), it says it doesn't fit my vehicle?! If I put in a different trim level though (e.g., SV), it says it does. Is this just an oversight by Air Lift to not put in my trim level on these fit charts? I noticed they don't have my trim listed on their website as a fit either.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”