Let's talk towing

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Let's talk towing

Postby Kestral » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Ok crew my main reason for purchasing my 2012 V6 Pathfinder is to tow my Jayco 23B hybrid camper. It's 23" long aprox 4,400 lbs empty so figure loaded with gear full water tank and two 20 lb propane tanks it's pushing 5,000 lbs loaded. I was not able to do any towing last summer as I found out I have cancer that I am still getting treatment for but it looks like I will be good for this summer to enjoy my RV again. I have added air bags to my Pathy it seems a must for any towing from what people say here and it looks like I need to add the aftermarket Nissan 7 pin wire unit that the camper will plug into in the rear I guess avail from any Nissan dealer and it just plugs in no hard wiring is this correct? Will I need to drill some holes in my bumper hitch to mount the 7 pin unit? Also I could use some advice on brake controllers can anyone recommend one and also do I need to hard wire the unit under the dash or will it just plug in somewhere?

By the way I know it's the middle of winter but I want to get an early start and I'm looking forward to a fun spring and summer! ... Thanks for any info crew.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:08 pm

Assuming you have the Nissan trailer hitch, the 7-pin harness kit from Nissan is a breeze to install. There are threaded holes in the hitch that will allow you to bolt the bracket which holds the 7-pin socket directly to the hitch. It will plug into the existing harness. The kit will give you instructions on what you need to do.
The electronic brake controller plug-in is under the driver's side of the dash, on the left side of the steering column. You can get the sub-harness from Nissan or on the aftermarket. Which controller you should get depends on the features you want, but Tekonsha and Hopkins are two of the popular brands. The last one I installed was a Tekonsha and I purchased a subharness from them, as well, which made the whole thing "plug and play." The hardest part was figuring out where to install it. Some controllers will require you to hardwire the subharness to the controller harness. Shop around and see what works for your purpose. You may also need to install a trailer relay in the engine compartment relay box, which you can get from Nissan, as well.

http://www.tekonsha.com/

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:09 pm

I have a 21MB Gulfstream that has not moved during 2014 due to pancreatic cancer diagnosis (about the worst kind & spreads fast). After 5 sessions of the “best” chemo in May-June, could not handle it any more so switched to some alternatives often seen used in Europe & Mexico and amongst a few brave souls here in the USA. [Yes, they have some stuff that usually works while the US/Canada wants you to donate so a cure can be found. I wasn’t ready to be a martyr. - rant] Since the switch 6 months ago I now am anxious to get on the road this Spring. Feeling great!!!

As far as towing, I find the problem more to be wind resistance, so to keep the trans from overheating I do 55-60 MPH. Then again, it could be the version of OEM trans they put in this basic 2006 PF. One reason why an Xterra 6 sp manual is looking so good.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu May 14, 2015 4:57 pm

Ok so back on getting ready for towing with my Pathfinder I bought a quality brake control unit (can't recall the model off hand) but it's made by Teknosha and today I bought the 7 pin female unit for the back of the truck at my local Nissan dealer. From what I read now I am missing something? The relays and I believe the wire harness that connects the brake control to the truck. I looked on the Teknosha site and they don't seem to list what I need for the Pathy. I think the next step is to call E-trailer but first I could use some Advice on what exactly I am missing?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri May 15, 2015 7:09 am

Tekonsha site doesn't list the 2012 Pathfinder info for some reason. I found the harnesses under the Armada listing, which should be the same. Tekonsha 3050-P is the harness that plugs into the Nissan trailer brake controller harness connector, located under the driver's side of the dash, to the left of the steering column. It has a flat connector on the opposite end of the harness that will plug into your controller's harness, if it's equipped with a plug. If not and it needs to be hard-wired, then you'll want Tekonsha 3050-S, which is similar to the trailer sub-harness which you can get from Nissan. I believe Rockauto.com also sells the sub-harness.

There is a relay box with about four relays in it on the passenger side of the engine compartment. There is a brown trailer relay which is needed which you can get from Nissan for about $25.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Fri May 15, 2015 4:16 pm

Thanks SMJ makes it much smoother if I have an idea on what I am talking about when I call to order. 😀

Return to “R51 General Chat”