First post, ATF color question.

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

flyboyo2

Postby flyboyo2 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:20 pm

I just completed the radiator bypass on my originally owned 2006 Pathfinder at 92000 miles. I caught about 2 oz. of ATF fluid from the radiator portion and it was red, no burnt smell and clear with no contaminants.
However, when I checked the fluid level the dipstick was wet and left wet spots on the paper towel but no color was visible on the white paper towel. Is this because of the clarity of the fluid or do I have a problem?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:25 pm

That's typical of Nissan-matic "J" and "S" ATF.

flyboyo2

Postby flyboyo2 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply. I sure didn't want to take it to the dealer and have them tell a fairy tale to me about a fluid change.
By the way, I personally did the straight bypass with no extra parts two days ago and I'm 76 years old. As with everything else these days it took a little longer to do but anyone with a 10mm socket and a pair of pliers can do it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:57 pm

Trans fluid change is easy, too. Just use a 19mm wrench to remove the drain plug and about 1-gallon will drain out. Reinstall the plug. Remove the 10mm head bolt from the dipstick and remove the dipstick. Insert a trans funnel. I use a 1-gallon jug of Valvoline Maxlife ATF, but some prefer to pay a lot more for the genuine Nissan Type "S" ATF; Castrol Multi-import ATF is also compatible. Install 3-1/2 quarts of new ATF and start the engine. Top off the fluid as necessary and re-install the dipstick.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”