Timing belt issue

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Chadius

Timing belt issue

Postby Chadius » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:22 pm

im in the middle of replacing my water pump and timing belt and I am kinda stuck be cause I read there should be 40 teeth in between the two cam sprockets and I am counting 43, any advice on this? Don't want to remove cams.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:13 pm

There should be three lines and an arrow on your timing belt. The arrow points toward the front of the vehicle and will usually be placed in the middle of the two cam sprockets. Nissan timing belts and some aftermarket belts have one dashed line and two solid lines. The dashed line will line up with the right bank, cam sprocket timing mark (if you are standing in front of the vehicle and facing the engine, it will be the sprocket on your left). The subsequent, solid lines will line up with the right bank, cam sprocket timing mark and crank sprocket timing mark, respectively. The crank sprocket timing mark should be in the 5:00 position; the left cam sprocket timing mark will be approximately 11:00 and the right cam at 1:00 position. They will typically not be perfectly aligned with the timing marks stamped into the rear timing belt cover, but rather, a hair outside of those marks.
On some aftermarket belts, you may have three solid lines opposed to one dashed and two solid. The procedure is the same; the arrow should still point to the front and sit between the two cam sprockets and the solid lines will match their respective timing marks on the sprockets.
Proper tensioning of the belt is important; too tight and you'll hear a whining noise. Here's my method: after installing the timing belt, loosen the nut on the tensioner. Turn the right cam sprocket about 3 teeth counter-clockwise and the tensioner will take out the slack. Tighten the tensioner nut to 35 ft/lbs. Turn the right bank cam sprocket about 3 teeth clockwise. With your thumb and forefinger, twist the timing belt at the centerpoint between the two cam sprockets; you should be able to turn it 90 degrees. If you can't, it's too tight and if you can twist it more, it's too loose. Good luck!

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”