Rear Seat DVD owners...help please.

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

acomiskey

Rear Seat DVD owners...help please.

Postby acomiskey » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:33 am

Could anyone tell me how the lcd mounts to the roof behind the sunroof? Is there a bracket that attaches to the headliner? I would assume it doesn't mount to the roof of the truck....as it would be hard for the sunroof to open.

acomiskey

Postby acomiskey » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:27 am

Figured it out. All you need to do is cut away the fabric headliner to expose the metal part of the headliner. All the mounting holes are there for the roof mounted lcd unit.

NathanJax

Postby NathanJax » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:11 am

acomiskey wrote:Could anyone tell me how the lcd mounts to the roof behind the sunroof? Is there a bracket that attaches to the headliner? I would assume it doesn't mount to the roof of the truck....as it would be hard for the sunroof to open.
acomiskey wrote:Figured it out. All you need to do is cut away the fabric headliner to expose the metal part of the headliner. All the mounting holes are there for the roof mounted lcd unit.
So I guess the mounting holes are behind the stopping point of the sunroof?

Any chance of getting pics? Please ? I've been thinking about doing this.

:D

I wonder if this is the same for ALL 05-08 paths...

acomiskey

Postby acomiskey » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:28 am

I would think it is exactly the same for all r51's. It was very easy and looks completely stock.

I took before and after pics but I didn't take a pic of the holes. I will take one if you need it.

-------------Roof
-------------Sunroof
-------------Sliding Sunroof Cover (or whatever you call it)
-------------Metal Section of Headliner (mounting holes are here)
-------------Fabric/Foam Section of Headliner (this gets cut away to expose mounting holes)
-------------LCD unit (4 short screws into metal section of headliner)
-------------Trim ring (larger than the hole you cut into the fabric section of headliner....snaps into place.)

I also have an extra complete stock roof mount lcd assembly I may be selling sometime if you're interested. Now for the hard part..the wiring. I have the whole thing working outside the truck but unfortunately have a dvd player from an 05-07. It appears the dvd player for 08's is different as it has a CAN bus connection which allows you to control it from the front display etc.

NathanJax

Postby NathanJax » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:50 am

Pics would be great. I PM'ed you my email address. Next time you have the screen down, it would be great if you could get some pics. Also, what bolts you used....

acomiskey

Postby acomiskey » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:13 am

Emailed you back. For other's reference, all you need is (4) M6 x 12mm hex bolts.

NathanJax

Postby NathanJax » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:00 pm

Never receieved an email, and the PM function seams to be messing up (for me)... So I'll just discuss it on here so that others will be informed as well.

I've been looking into doing this, but I wanted something that looked factory in my 05 Pathfinder LE. From your post, it sounds like you purchased the factory 05-07 screen, or did you do an aftermarket?

acomiskey

Postby acomiskey » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:10 pm

Maybe it ended up in a spam box?

Anyway, here's a copy of the email.

Yes, the lcds I have are for 05-08. These are the OEM units, not aftermarket. I'm trying to do this with all stock parts. I believe the only thing different on the 08's is the dvd player itself.

I picked up 4 bolts at Home Depot. Metric M6 x 12mm I believe. 10mm bolt head size. Fit perfectly, no problems.

If you remove part of the gasket around your sunroof, you can reach your fingers in between the sunroof slider cover and the headliner. You should be able to feel the holes, one set in about 4 inches in about 6 inches apart.

NathanJax

Postby NathanJax » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:22 pm

acomiskey wrote: I also have an extra complete stock roof mount lcd assembly I may be selling sometime if you're interested.
YES !!!
acomiskey wrote:Yes, the lcds I have are for 05-08. These are the OEM units, not aftermarket. I'm trying to do this with all stock parts. I believe the only thing different on the 08's is the dvd player itself
I want to do mine factory as well... If you don't mind me asking, how much and where did you get the OEM unit from? Looking at factory websites, they are looking for around $1,823 for the Finisher, Bezel, and LCD shown here

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... atalogid=0

Aftermarket ones can be had for a couple hundred bucks...

acomiskey

Postby acomiskey » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:56 pm

A few pics...

Before

After

NathanJax

Postby NathanJax » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:10 am

That looks great. Looks like you bought it that way.

Question for you though. The black bar in front on the second and third picture, is that for the IR for headsets?

I pulled my headliner away from the sunroof and saw the bracket with the bolt holes.

Now I need to find one in tan...

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:15 pm

acomiskey wrote:
What are the two black dial-looking gizmos at the rear of the front overhead console?

acomiskey

Postby acomiskey » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Those are rear air/heat controls. Allows you to control the rear roof vents. Or you can transfer control to the rear passenger controls located at the rear of the center console.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:43 pm

acomiskey wrote:Those are rear air/heat controls. Allows you to control the rear roof vents. Or you can transfer control to the rear passenger controls located at the rear of the center console.
Gotcha. Those of us with the poor man's PF only have them on the back of the center floor console. I was hoping you'd say something like they are movie projector lenses, UV emitters for interior tanning, etc.

acomiskey

Postby acomiskey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:28 am

Could anyone with an 08 and the dvd entertainment system tell me what their dvd player looks like?

Are there stop/play/pause etc. buttons on the player itself or only a/v input jacks? Thanks.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”