Once transmission changed, is it safe?

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

dlillo

Once transmission changed, is it safe?

Postby dlillo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:53 am

We are looking at buying a used Pathfinder and thanks to you guys I am aware of the radiator/transmission problem and keeping it in mind while looking.

There is one that we are eyeing that already had the transmission changed 2 years ago. That seems like a good thing but how do we know the problem won't happen again? Is it not recurring?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:17 am

The only way to guarantee it is to bypass the radiator.

That being said, if they swapped the transmission, they should have also installed an updated radiator. You could try to verify via Part Number. Report back with the part number shown on the radiator and someone should be able to pipe in and let you know.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:25 pm

If they replaced the radiator with the trans, and being only two years ago, it should be the updated radiator.

dlillo

Postby dlillo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:30 pm

Thanks!

I called today and they looked but couldn't find the part #. I guess sometimes it can be underneath or something? They are contacting the previous owner to ask but even should he say it was replaced, I'd like to actually have the part # to confirm it. Would this be a job that would take a lot of time and work? As in, make sure we are very serious before asking them to do that?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:40 pm

If it was a genuine Nissan radiator, the part # would be on a Calsonic sticker on the top tank of the radiator. If there is no sticker, it is likely an aftermarket radiator. Aftermarket issues aren't known to share the same misfortune as the 2005-2010 Calsonic radiators used in the Pathfinder/Xterra/Frontiers.
To bypass the radiator, it takes less than an hour. To replace the radiator, labor guide time is 3.0 hours. That will vary based on one's experience and access to tools and whether or not they have a vehicle hoist or not.

dlillo

Postby dlillo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:02 pm

Ok thank you!

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”