Early precautions. Need your opinions!

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

car_bore

Early precautions. Need your opinions!

Postby car_bore » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:38 am

Hi guys,

2 days ago, I just bought myself a second hand 2005 Pathfinder LE 4x4 with 119k miles on it. Got it at a fair price and Im loving every part of it. However, I stumbled upon nissans horrific transmission and radiotor failure, and if I knew this earlier, I would have avoided it.

Anyways, its in my garage, and I try not to think of it, but as a precaution, is there ANY way I could inspect or do something to prevent the failure from happening? Like visual inspection of fluid or hoses and whatnots.

My first post, and I never though it would be because of a problem. I sure hope my new baby wont kill me.

Hoping For your response.

Thank you!
More power to thenissanpath forum!

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:55 am

Anyone?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Early precautions. Need your opinions!

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:16 am

car_bore wrote:Hi guys,

2 days ago, I just bought myself a second hand 2005 Pathfinder LE 4x4 with 119k miles on it. Got it at a fair price and Im loving every part of it. However, I stumbled upon nissans horrific transmission and radiotor failure, and if I knew this earlier, I would have avoided it.

Anyways, its in my garage, and I try not to think of it, but as a precaution, is there ANY way I could inspect or do something to prevent the failure from happening? Like visual inspection of fluid or hoses and whatnots.

My first post, and I never though it would be because of a problem. I sure hope my new baby wont kill me.

Thank you!
here are just a couple of links of many here in The Nissan Path
the search feature will bring up more....
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ler+bypass

welcome to the forum
:)

car_bore

Re: Early precautions. Need your opinions!

Postby car_bore » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:34 pm

eieio wrote:
car_bore wrote:Hi guys,

Thank you!
here are just a couple of links of many here in The Nissan Path
the search feature will bring up more....

welcome to the forum
:)
Thanks. Yep I was reading those and to be honest, it made mr feel a lot worse. Thinking of returning my pathfinder coz Im still a student and cant afford those repairs.

Could anyone elighten me on this bypass thing? Looking at my engine bay, I can see two radiators, and from my understanding, the big one has the leaking problem. So if i replace that with a new one, will everything be ok? Also, what radiator should I get?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:14 pm

There is only one radiator; you are probably looking at the A/C condenser in front of the radiator. In front of the A/C condenser, on the passenger side (2005-2007 models) you will see the auxiliary trans cooler. If you replace the radiator, then you will likely never have a cross-contamination issue. I say "likely" because any radiator integral oil cooler has the potential to fail, but it is usually a fairly rare occurrence with the exception of the run of factory radiators used in the 2005-10 Pathfinders/Frontiers/Xterras. Your choices are the updated Nissan radiator (which is very expensive), an aftermarket replacement (most appear to be comparable in quality and much less expensive), or the newly released, all-aluminum, radiator from Stillen for $350. If it were me, I would opt for the Stillen radiator, but I already swapped in a radiator a couple of years ago that I picked up on Ebay for $94. Most of the aftermarket radiators you'll find are made in China, but as I said earlier, the quality has been pretty good. Many opt for Spectra Premium radiators on the aftermarket, which sell for around $120-130.
The "bypass method" eliminates the radiator's integral cooler completely from the system, so there is no chance of cross-contamination. You do lose the cooling benefit from the cooler, which is usually not an issue unless you tow, and you also lose the ability of the integral cooler to warm the trans fluid, which would be an issue if you live in an area that sees extremes of cold weather. Here's a link to an article with pics on the procedure:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/ ... ass-42555/

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:04 am

smj999smj wrote:There is only one radiator; you are probably looking at the A/C condenser in front of the radiator. In front of the A/C condenser, on the passenger side (2005-2007 models) you will see the auxiliary trans cooler. If you replace the radiator, then you will likely never have a cross-contamination issue. I say "likely" because any radiator integral oil cooler has the potential to fail, but it is usually a fairly rare occurrence with the exception of the run of factory radiators used in the 2005-10 Pathfinders/Frontiers/Xterras. Your choices are the updated Nissan radiator (which is very expensive), an aftermarket replacement (most appear to be comparable in quality and much less expensive), or the newly released, all-aluminum, radiator from Stillen for $350. If it were me, I would opt for the Stillen radiator, but I already swapped in a radiator a couple of years ago that I picked up on Ebay for $94. Most of the aftermarket radiators you'll find are made in China, but as I said earlier, the quality has been pretty good. Many opt for Spectra Premium radiators on the aftermarket, which sell for around $120-130.
The "bypass method" eliminates the radiator's integral cooler completely from the system, so there is no chance of cross-contamination. You do lose the cooling benefit from the cooler, which is usually not an issue unless you tow, and you also lose the ability of the integral cooler to warm the trans fluid, which would be an issue if you live in an area that sees extremes of cold weather. Here's a link to an article with pics on the procedure:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/ ... ass-42555/
This. This is the kind of answer I was expecting. THANK YOU!

I have now made my mind, and decided to replace the radiator. May I ask, what do you think of this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DIRECT-FIT- ... ce&vxp=mtr

Please tell me as soon as possible, so I could order it now. I was thinking of this http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating ... _266534_0/ but the price is a little bit steep for me. Is the first one worth it?

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:23 pm

Now Im screwed. Called a bunch of shops today and found out that I have to shell out $300-400 bucks just for the LABOR alone. Add another $100 for the cheapest radiator, hoses and fluid.
Made me to reconsider bypass option. Now the shops I called doesnt know what this is, fortunately I found a simple diagram here on this forum, and Im hoping the mechanic knows this when I bring it to their shop for an oil change.

Please enlighten me more.

I know this is a long shot, but anyone who lives in the bay area, California (San Jose part, but anywhere within 40 miles is fine) who knows how to do the bypass thing? Id be more happy to bring it to you. Beer is on me :o
[/img]

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:34 pm

The labor guide calls for 3 hours to replace the radiator. It can be a bit of a pain. The bypass method is really easy and you can probably due it yourself in an hour's time, tops! All you are doing is re-routing the existing lines and capping off the fittings on the radiator. The only tools you need is a 10mm socket and wrench with an extension and some pliers.

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:37 pm

Updating my thread.

Just had the bypass done. Paid the mechanic $75 for it. I'd say much better than paying $400 for a new radiator or $4000 for a transmission.

Also installed new loud, low tone horns, interior led lights and some snug fit matting.

Btw, my bose subwoofer had the rattling sound at max bass setting. Ripped the grille cover and found out that the paper separated from the center of the cone. Followed the guys here in the forums, by applying rtv silicone it did the job.

I sure hope thats the last problem pathy will give me. So far Im enjoying every moment with it! 8)

HoneyMonster256

Postby HoneyMonster256 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:38 pm

Who ever your mechanic was is a theif, I took my pathy to the stealership and they told me $300 including parts and labor total. Also the smaller "radiator" up front is actually an external cooler.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:48 pm

HoneyMonster256 wrote:Who ever your mechanic was is a theif, I took my pathy to the stealership and they told me $300 including parts and labor total. Also the smaller "radiator" up front is actually an external cooler.
$300.00 for what, exactly? :?

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:08 am

HoneyMonster256 wrote:Who ever your mechanic was is a theif, I took my pathy to the stealership and they told me $300 including parts and labor total. Also the smaller "radiator" up front is actually an external cooler.
You mean $300 to replace the radiator, including parts and labor? Thats not bad, considering its from a stealership.. The shops I inquired were the ones I found on yelp. They did say it was a rough estimate, depending on how hard and how long they remove the old radiator and the also materials that will be used.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”