2011 HID retrofit

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Shilly

2011 HID retrofit

Postby Shilly » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:34 pm

I couldn't take the horrible stock lights anymore. Went and done a full bixenon retrofit.All I can say is let there be light. I also installed a set of led foglights as well.Will try and get some night shots tonight. This is the finished product. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:04 am

Details?

Shilly

Postby Shilly » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:11 am

I used a kit from the retrofit source. I used there mini d2s kit,
the only thing I did was upgrade to oem type ballast's. Its fairly straight forward on nissan's. After you get the lights baked apart,you basically enlarge the hole where the original bulb goes and these slide through and bolt on with a big nut.Weather was pretty crappy here last night so I didnt get to take some night shots, Weather is supposed to be crappy again tonight but I'll try to take some later. Hands down best lights I have had in any car. Even better than the hid in my wifes gs450h.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:46 am

Very nice work! Any pics from the install process?

Looks like a mini D2S kit is $315. Any other parts needed?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/comple ... O4JXC726BU

Did you use Retrofit Source for the LED fogs also?

Shilly

Postby Shilly » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:00 am

No other parts needed,unless upgrading the ballasts or bulbs. Just be sure to get the right harness,which for our trucks is the moto 9007. I did not take any pics along the way, but there tutorials on there website cover just about anything you would need very well. The fogs are the xb type s ,but I bought the b stock version. Which means not 100% perfect cosmetic.The ones I got had a super tiny mark on the bottom of the lens,not even in the light beam. On the car you can't even see it. Those guys down there are top notch. If you run into trouble, just call them.
Just as side note I used the apollo 2.0 flat shields. They were easier to cut and shape for our lenses.

HoneyMonster256

Postby HoneyMonster256 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:02 pm

Wish I had the time to build me a set of these, I barely have the time to replace my brakes.

Shilly

Postby Shilly » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:30 pm

HoneyMonster256 wrote:Wish I had the time to build me a set of these, I barely have the time to replace my brakes.
Thats the main reason I dont have pics. Not bad though I had it done in about a total of ten hours. I also have access to full air tools and such.

Shilly

Postby Shilly » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:07 am

This is just a few feet from the door, so glare is really bad.

This is from about 30 feet, ground is wet and the wall is red brick. These lights are super bright and my phone doesn't do it justice.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:44 am

How's the high beam? That's where I really hate my OEM lights because it just scatters the light and still has a very low cut-off. I installed aux lights to fix all that but have thought about doing a retrofit if the highbeam would light up as well as my current aux setup.

Shilly

Postby Shilly » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:50 am

skinny2 wrote:How's the high beam? That's where I really hate my OEM lights because it just scatters the light and still has a very low cut-off. I installed aux lights to fix all that but have thought about doing a retrofit if the highbeam would light up as well as my current aux setup.

Highbeams are great, basicaly make the light into a 360 beam and thats what it is. I'll see if I can take one tonight.

ThePainClinic

Postby ThePainClinic » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Did you purchase stock lights form a dealer and use those or were they the cheaper non OEM kind that you find on ebay? (The ones that say they're just like OEM. Or did you use the ones that came with the car? I'm thinking about doing the same. Problem is my lens's need to be tossed so I was thinking about picking up something of ebay. Dealer wants like $500 a light!!

Shilly

Postby Shilly » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:12 pm

ThePainClinic wrote:Did you purchase stock lights form a dealer and use those or were they the cheaper non OEM kind that you find on ebay? (The ones that say they're just like OEM. Or did you use the ones that came with the car? I'm thinking about doing the same. Problem is my lens's need to be tossed so I was thinking about picking up something of ebay. Dealer wants like $500 a light!!
I used the ones that came with the truck. Unfortunately there are no aftermarket options for my year. I took my time doing it knowing how much these things cost.

ThePainClinic

Postby ThePainClinic » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:19 pm

There are aftermarket lights available...just not with HID kits in them. I was planning on picking up a set from ebay and sending those in to get retrofit from a professional shop.

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:27 am

ThePainClinic wrote:There are aftermarket lights available...just not with HID kits in them. I was planning on picking up a set from ebay and sending those in to get retrofit from a professional shop.
If you decide to go through with this, please post about it. I'm interested in doing the same thing as I'm hesitant to start taking apart the OEM lights for fear of screwing something up.

psinsyd

Postby psinsyd » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:59 am

Not sure of the overall difference between the two, but I'm thinking of just going the LED route so I don't have to mess with the housings in any way.

I've bought from vled before and they're great quality with good service.

http://www.vleds.com/9004-9007-lmz.html

http://www.vleds.com/led-headlights/h11 ... 1-lmz.html

Return to “R51 Electrical”