Nissan Xterra discontnued after 2015 model year

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Nissan Xterra discontnued after 2015 model year

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:56 pm

Pretty sad news. So now we are down to essentially Jeep & the Toyota 4Runner. I've been real tempted to just get a new X the past couple of years (manual transmission, of course), but it just wouldn't make sense. Nothing wrong with my Pathfinder. I think I'll play the waiting game and see what Toyota does with the 4 Runner, which should be getting a fairly large overhaul soon. If they turn that into something similar to the current Pathfinder monstrosity, I'll be ordering up a Toyota real fast.

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:49 pm

The death of actual truck based SUVs is moving a lot quicker than I'd originally anticipated. Seems like it won't be long before we're driving around in rolling museum exhibits...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:56 pm

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Re: Nissan Xterra discontnued after 2015 model year

Postby skinny2 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:42 pm

NVSteve wrote:PI think I'll play the waiting game and see what Toyota does with the 4 Runner, which should be getting a fairly large overhaul soon. If they turn that into something similar to the current Pathfinder monstrosity, I'll be ordering up a Toyota real fast.
Considering they already have the Highlander, the only other option for the 4Runner is the chopping block. They sell a fair number of them though with almost zero incentives so I really doubt they would axe it. In fact they sold about the same number of 4R's as Nissan sold PF's in 2014. The difference being the PF has incentives and a large number of fleet (rental) units. What's sad is that Pathfinder sales have tripled and doubled respectively since '11 and '12. The Tacoma is getting a major update for '16 so maybe the 4R will follow.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:04 pm

Axed because it won't meet the new emission and safety requirements, the same thing that put the Nissan Patrol to it's death in the US 45-years ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same! I wonder if they'll keep the model going in other countries like they did with the Patrol?

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:05 pm

I really don't think you will be seeing a major overhaul with the Toyota 4Runner for quite some time as they just refreshed it last year. My friend bought one in July of last year. Unless the sales numbers are way off Toyota will not change it for a while. The sales numbers really went south for small truck based SUV's the Toyota FJ's sales numbers tanked two years ago as well as last year so Toyota canned it. I don't know where the Nissans XTeras numbers were but that prob had something to do with it. I expect it will be some time before small tough trucked based SUV's show up on dealers lots from someone other then Jeep. Some day they will come back in one form or another and sell to people who like that "Nitch" special SUV they will make a big splash sell well and be gone again in a few years.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:26 am

Kestral wrote:I don't know where the Nissans XTeras numbers were but that prob had something to do with it.
They sold 16,000 last year. Around 2,000 so far YTD. That's about where the FJ was selling. It's also half of Juke sales! Or 1/18th of Rogue sales :cry:

There's just not much demand for the vehicles we like. Beyond the Wrangler anyway. Which sold 12X as many units but that's a cult thing more than people really wanting an off-road capable vehicle.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:36 pm

skinny2 wrote:
Kestral wrote:I don't know where the Nissans XTeras numbers were but that prob had something to do with it.
They sold 16,000 last year. Around 2,000 so far YTD. That's about where the FJ was selling. It's also half of Juke sales! Or 1/18th of Rogue sales :cry:

There's just not much demand for the vehicles we like. Beyond the Wrangler anyway. Which sold 12X as many units but that's a cult thing more than people really wanting an off-road capable vehicle.[/quote

I agree with you the Jeep has always been a cult thing. And if both the Toyota FJ and the Nissan X were selling like hot cakes we would have been looking at a redesign not a total cancelation.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:42 am

Kestral wrote:I really don't think you will be seeing a major overhaul with the Toyota 4Runner for quite some time as they just refreshed it last year. My friend bought one in July of last year. Unless the sales numbers are way off Toyota will not change it for a while. The sales numbers really went south for small truck based SUV's the Toyota FJ's sales numbers tanked two years ago as well as last year so Toyota canned it. I don't know where the Nissans XTeras numbers were but that prob had something to do with it. I expect it will be some time before small tough trucked based SUV's show up on dealers lots from someone other then Jeep. Some day they will come back in one form or another and sell to people who like that "Nitch" special SUV they will make a big splash sell well and be gone again in a few years.
Toyota has admitted that the 4Runner is a bit dated when compared to all the other vehicles out there, so who knows. Lots of rumors floating around out there as to what will happen. One thing the majority of people on the Toyota forums keep saying, is that the 4Runner has consistently sold, but is very much in need of an update. Changing a bit of trim, front grill & lights won't cut it. I just hope that the CAFE influence won't result in a 4Runner/Rav hybrid. I don't see myself ever jumping on the Jeep bandwagon, so I have the 4Runner in my crosshairs for now. There simply isn't anything else out there unless one doesn't mind settling for a pickup truck.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:15 pm

Funny I just rode in my friends new 4Runner today and although it's nice I really did not feel it was anything over my 2012 Pathy. Yes it rode a little better but that's about it. I don't care for the dash or the switch gear and the gauge package is trying to do to much it seems sort of "Busy" for my taste. No desire to own one over my 2012 Pathfinder.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:23 pm

I wouldn't expect a whole lot from the Fiat-owned Jeep. Has anyone seen the new Renegade? The Cherokee suffers from reliability issues and is way overpriced. And the Wrangler, while still somewhat true to its roots, is about twice the price it should be despite being it's simple, if not somewhat "crude" by today's standards, design.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:03 am

I have another friend that just bought a new Jeep Wrangler "Willies" edition fully loaded. Nice truck until he told me what he paid! Wow! Close to 40k! I could have nearly bought two of my 2012 Pathfinders for that! I paid just over 20k with 7,000 miles for mine. That Jeep Wrangler should not cost nearly 40k in my opinion.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:20 am

The Wranglers have always been very expensive, but they sell and do so with few incentives. Someone is buying them.

Grand Cherokees are also very expensive once you get away from the fleet versions. The Summits are around $50k which will get you a fully loaded Acura MDX that's faster, better driving, better economy, more space, and an equally good AWD system. The only way the Jeep makes sense is if you're really going to off-road or if you want to tow more than 4,000 or so pounds. The number of people that really do that is fairly slim.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:03 am

Kestral wrote:Funny I just rode in my friends new 4Runner today and although it's nice I really did not feel it was anything over my 2012 Pathy. Yes it rode a little better but that's about it. I don't care for the dash or the switch gear and the gauge package is trying to do to much it seems sort of "Busy" for my taste. No desire to own one over my 2012 Pathfinder.
I agree that it is essentially the same thing as the Pathfinder. Some of the button placement is a bit odd-not a fan of the switches overhead. My problem is that mine won't last me forever, however much I want it to. If Nissan hadn't dropped the Pathfinder completely (the current "Pathfinder" is no Pathfinder), I'd probably just move into a newer one when the time came. I keep getting tons of email and snail mail ads from Nissan. I don't think I've seen the Xterra listed for a couple of years, and the rest of the current vehicle lineup just makes me want to puke.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:05 pm

the seating position in the toyota was a dealbreaker for me. felt like my legs were sticking out at a 90 degree angle.

Return to “General Automotive”