Powerwash engine?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Powerwash engine?

Postby Kestral » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:20 am

Is it a bad thing if I Powerwash my R51 V6? In a few weeks I want to get all the winter grime off of my Pathy and I my engine bay is a mess I just don't know how good it is to Powerwash it.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Powerwash engine?

Postby eieio » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:30 am

Kestral wrote:Is it a bad thing if I Powerwash my R51 V6? In a few weeks I want to get all the winter grime off of my Pathy and I my engine bay is a mess I just don't know how good it is to Powerwash it.
i'd be hesitant to soak the electrical components & connections in there

FirstIn

Postby FirstIn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:40 am

I used to detail cars at a dealership and that's the one thing we did not power wash. To easy to damage electrical components in there.

Take an industrial strength degreaser like Power Purple from walmart and spray everything in the engine compartment with that and then rinse it with a regular hose. Repeat if needed. Works great!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:08 pm

I do basically the same thing in that I usually just wash it down with a garden hose and, if needed, spray it down with a cleaner beforehand. I do mostly highway miles so it usually doesn't get too dirty.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:02 pm

My Pathy is so dirty inside and out it does not help that I live in it for work! It really took a beating here in Western MA this winter. Now dealing with all the potholes some are quite large and deep! It's difficult sometimes to miss them.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:04 am

I spray degreaser first on all the engine parts I want cleaned, and then I use a steam cleaner to rinse it off. I've been doing this for the last 10 years. The hot steam helps the degreaser clean, and then it evaporates. I even clean electrical connections. The steam gets all the gunk off and then takes a few minutes to dry. No damage done. This way does take longer compared to using a garden hose/pressure washer. But I think it's safer.

Something like this:

When I first bought mine over 10 years ago, it was around $150. Now I found it for like $30 on Amazon :lol: http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Differen ... held+steam 8)

Return to “R51 General Chat”