Is the R51 still being produce outside of the US?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

brucenash

Is the R51 still being produce outside of the US?

Postby brucenash » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:34 am

Hi, I wonder if we can still find a new r51 somewhere else...

I read it in wikipedia btw.

thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:29 am

It's possible. They were making D21 Hardbodies and B13 Sentras in Mexico even after they were discontinued in the US.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:47 am

yes its still made in spain.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:42 am

There are plenty of very low mileage '12 models out there for sale. As of a few months ago, there was some discussion about new ones still sitting on lots even.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 am

It figures that once they finally got all the bugs worked out of it, they changed it to the 2013 style, which is at the bottom of the reliability list per Consumer Reports in their class. Same goes for the Xterra; they finally get it all sorted out and now they'll discontinue it! It's be nice if Nissan would get their act together and start releasing vehicles that are good and dependable from the beginning, like they used to do many years ago!

brucenash

Postby brucenash » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:57 pm

thank you guys. If anybody else has some info would be much appreciated.

I know, for me the r51 is and will be the medium size SUV with the best on and off road relation.
Meaning excellent on road quality ride for a body on frame suv and pretty good off road ability.

I was really pissed of when they switch it over to the pavement-finder...

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:24 pm

brucenash wrote:thank you guys. If anybody else has some info would be much appreciated.

I know, for me the r51 is and will be the medium size SUV with the best on and off road relation.
Meaning excellent on road quality ride for a body on frame suv and pretty good off road ability.

I was really pissed of when they switch it over to the pavement-finder...
are you in the USA?
if so, whatever you're thinking of importing will probably not meet US emission standards
it wouldn't be too tough to find out if there are any new leftovers available here
if not, as skinny2 mentioned, you can probably pick up a clean used one

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:44 pm

smj999smj wrote:It figures that once they finally got all the bugs worked out of it, they changed it to the 2013 style, which is at the bottom of the reliability list per Consumer Reports in their class. Same goes for the Xterra; they finally get it all sorted out and now they'll discontinue it! It's be nice if Nissan would get their act together and start releasing vehicles that are good and dependable from the beginning, like they used to do many years ago!
My friend purchased a Nisan Hardbody pickup truck in the 90's can't recall the exact year off hand. It was an SE model with the V6 and a manual trans and real good looking with the extended cab and big 31 inch rubber. That truck was the toughest truck I had ever seen! This friend of mine put that thing through hell! And it never failed! Not one issue in over 200,000 hard miles just brakes, tires and one U joint that was it. He sold it about three years ago to some guy for $3,000.00 cash. He says it was the best purchase he ever made.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:46 pm

Hardbodies were always a great truck! They weren't the fastest or most powerful, but they were tough as nails, reliable, fairly easy to work on and they made them for over 10 years, so there's plenty of parts. I bought a brand new '97 King Cab SE 2WD with "Autumn Sunburst" paint for $16,500 (I worked for a Nissan dealer at time and got a great deal). I put just over 200,000 "trouble-free" miles on it before the engine harness shorted and cooked the wires all the way back to the ignition switch back in 2006. I'd still probably be driving it today if it weren't for that. It still had the original exhaust and rear brakes on it and no rust when she went down. I tried to order a new harness from Nissan but after waiting 18-months, I gave up. I sold it for $600 last summer after getting tired of seeing it sit in my yard.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:07 pm

I learned to drive on an 89 Hardbody, single cab short bed 2x4, manual with the 4 cylinder however it had 2 spark plugs per cylinder. Thing ran like a champ, cold a/c at high school while many of my friends had crap cars with all four windows down for a/c.

The only complaint I had for the truck was the bad rust. It seemed to attract rust and it grew like crazy. Only reason we still had the bed was because of the plastic bed liner we put in the bed. Dad would still have that truck had my younger brother not ran a stop sign and relocated the driver side to the passenger side.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:00 pm

The ol' dual plugger was a NAP-Z engine and, IMO, much better than the KA-series that replaced it! The bottom end was taken from the ol' Datsun L-series 4-cyl. and the head was actually a Hemi-head design. You might see ahead gasket blow between two cylinders or an intake leaks, but otherwise, it was one, tough engine!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:35 am

Same setup in my 85 200sx. It was a great motor alright! Liked to scream... I drove the $(#! out of that car...

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:51 am

I believe they still churn them out in their Rosslyn Plant in Gauteng...South Africa...as they do not list that abomination of a car R52 on their website...here in the UAE or rather the GCC market...they still sell the R51 as Pathfinder Classic...no roof rails fabric seats...cruise control..no Bluetooth...no Bose....4wd with AUTO option...basically a mash-up of parts but cutting out the really good bits...like leather sunroof navi steering controls Bose etc etc...priced the same as Xterra Off-road..

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:31 am

not to mention just got one....OME kit went in today

Return to “R51 General Chat”