Brake Dust...

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

08PathPounder

Brake Dust...

Postby 08PathPounder » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:44 pm

I can't take it. I just rotated my tires today and the pads have plenty of life left on them. Front & rear. But in all honesty I absolutely CAN NOT STAND the brake dust being thrown from my front set. Rear not so much. But it's costing me more time, money, and aggravation in car washing, rags, and patience. No matter how many pads I review online I can't find one with out a review of brake dust. The akebono set is 100 dollars for just the front. Outrageous if you ask me but I could care less so long as they don't throw dust. Does this come down to just pads? Or is it a pad and rotor combo? I need some suggestions because I've had it lol. ( rant over)

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:20 pm

I have 2 2005 R51s
I have all of the original OEM brake components in both of them
I have had no brake dust issues at all with either truck

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:21 pm

I have an 06 LE and an 08 SE, both with Akebono Pro ACT ceramic pads #ACT1094 on the front and don't have any issues with brake dust. FYI, I got them from Rockauto.com for $53.20 per set, including shipping and using a 5% discount code. The 06 has Raybestos Professional Series Advanced Technology brake rotors I got from Rockauto and the 08 has Wagner rotors I picked up from Federated Auto Parts. I had genuine Nissan pads on the 06 for awhile, which are ceramic type, but had a low speed squeal issue that kept coming back no matter how many times I cleaned up the pads and lubed the backing plates and guides with copper grease...but didn't have any dust issues with them, either.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:37 pm

smj999smj wrote:I have an 06 LE and an 08 SE, both with Akebono Pro ACT ceramic pads #ACT1094 on the front and don't have any issues with brake dust. FYI, I got them from Rockauto.com for $53.20 per set, including shipping and using a 5% discount code. The 06 has Raybestos Professional Series Advanced Technology brake rotors I got from Rockauto and the 08 has Wagner rotors I picked up from Federated Auto Parts. I had genuine Nissan pads on the 06 for awhile, which are ceramic type, but had a low speed squeal issue that kept coming back no matter how many times I cleaned up the pads and lubed the backing plates and guides with copper grease...but didn't have any dust issues with them, either.
smj, I wish you were here to smack me in the face. Lol your like batman.. it's amazing. You have saved me boo~koo bucks with my radiator preventing trans failure & now pads all I can say is thank you. Seriously

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:40 pm

eieio wrote:I have 2 2005 R51s
I have all of the original OEM brake components in both of them
I have had no brake dust issues at all with either truck
My pathy came from the dealership (Chevy dealership) with this junk on it so I have no idea what brand is used but I can only assume it's cheap

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:55 pm

I like Akebono's...they are an original equipment brake supplier to many Asian makes, including Nissan. That said, the OE pad from the factory for the R51 is actually a Hitachi pad. The Akebono Pro ACT's come with all of the hardware. They do offer a higher priced, and I'm assuming higher performance pad, but it does not come with the hardware to my knowledge. They are also available at Rockauto, but I've never used them so I can't really comment on their performance.

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:41 am

I use EBC brakes (pads and rotors/discs) on all my vehicles and I can confirm brake dust is minimal or almost not noticeable, and braking power is indeed increased quite noticeably.
CAVEAT 1:
Just MEASURE your brake discs diameter before you make a purchase - EU Pathy models have 320mm, while most US Pathfinders have 295mm diameter, so rotors and pads are different.
AND 2:
You will get pad shims FOR FREE, but you need to ask for them. They are self-adhesive metal shims to prevent squeeking noise. If you forget to order, then you can still re-use your old OEM shims, but sometimes those get separated layers and it's not aesthetic to use them with new pads :)

Here link:
http://www.shopebcbrakes.com/

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:23 am

Just ordered the akebono pro act pads front and rear from tire rack for 108 shipped.
Rockauto only had the rear set in stock so rather than purchase from two different vendors I just went with tire rack

2008 Pathy S
Front pads were $61.00
Rear pads were $47.00

Their coming from Delaware to NJ, should only be a few days before they get here.. Does any one know if there's a break in period for these? Putting them on stock rotors that have 65k on them but aren't warped and have plenty of life. Should easily last me until the next set of pads.

HoneyMonster256

Postby HoneyMonster256 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:28 am

As an Emergency, I actually put on Duralast Gold Ceramics because the ones I bought for $250 for the set lasted me ohh 4 months have had almost zero brake dust where the others covered my front tires.

I know they are not the best but it was a last minute down to the metal.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:43 am

08PathPounder wrote:Just ordered the akebono pro act pads front and rear from tire rack for 108 shipped.
Rockauto only had the rear set in stock so rather than purchase from two different vendors I just went with tire rack

2008 Pathy S
Front pads were $61.00
Rear pads were $47.00

Their coming from Delaware to NJ, should only be a few days before they get here.. Does any one know if there's a break in period for these? Putting them on stock rotors that have 65k on them but aren't warped and have plenty of life. Should easily last me until the next set of pads.
With any set of new brake pads, you should take it easy the first hundred miles or so to let them break in. New pads should be broken in on new or resurfaced rotors for best results.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:35 am

I ran duralast gold ceramic pads and got zero dust but squeeks at low speeds.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:17 am

Did my brakes all the way around, the front had plenty of life on them because the dealership must have put them on when I bought the car 20,000 miles ago. The rears were just about gone. They never replaced them so I went ahead and did all four.

My driver side rear is 190*degrees and smelling bad after being parked for 3 minutes or so and after a 17mile drive.
The rest are 70* or so after being parked for 3 minutes.

Caliper hanging up?
Pads in wrong ?

Everything seems to go just fine when putting them in ? Caliper pressed in with c clamp and blog of wood so as to be even?

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”