Snow Chains Review, Diamond shape pattern

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

Snow Chains Review, Diamond shape pattern

Postby blink32 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:18 pm

In preparation for my winter trip through the extremely snowy areas of NA I knew I needed some snow chains. Even if I never put them on there are areas that I will passing through where chain laws could easily be in effect. I know out here on the East Coast if it ever gets rough enough to require chains they just declare a state of emergency and everyone stays home.

I am familiar with the regular ladder style chains and looked at those first. Thought about cables too. Then I stumbled onto a review for RUD Inc Snow Chains by a respected off-road instructor. After reading about them I was sold. Chains you can put on while already stuck. No need to drive forward onto them then latch everything together, supposedly fast to install, in general just a better product. I was sold.

Figured out that I couldn't order online from the first place I found them I did some searching. Being excessively lazy and wanting only to use the internet I searched around but couldn't find a place to order them online. Found either the same chains or a duplicate over at tirechains.com . Found my size, placed my order and 2 days later they were at my door. The package says Made In China and has TUV markings but that was just on the soft pack to contain the chains. I didn't see any markings on the chains themselves. After practicing on 2 tires I could install these chains in 30 seconds a tire. That would put you outside about 2 minutes in the weather to put them on, pull forward 15ish feet, hop out for about 10 seconds per tire to tighten the chains and back in the warmth.

I haven't had a chance to use them in the snow/ice so I can't comment on that but they are chains. I mean they will work or they will fall apart. Not much to mess up. The fit is good and the parts seem good.

http://www.tirechain.com/car_chaininsta ... uction.htm

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:17 pm

Well if it's snowing in the sierra's you will be putting them on about 4000'. The police and the tire chain sellers are there but only if you don't have 4wd. You can get by without them, but it's always good for safety's sake. Just drive sensibly and not like a city slicker and watch out for others. My friends scout got hit by an idiot in a Grand Cherokee while we were trying to help a Volvo out of the snow. 2 hot blonds, we had to stop.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:15 am

One true thing about chains is that the more you use them the more they stretch and eventualy become irreparable and unuseable. Those look like they'd get you up some ice hills a few times but I wouldn't depend on them to do a couple of hundred miles. Keeping chains tight on the tire and speeds to about 5 mph helps.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:09 am

Greybrick wrote: Those look like they'd get you up some ice hills a few times but I wouldn't depend on them to do a couple of hundred miles.
I'll tell you what, the first time you stop trolling, and actually figure out what you are typing about I might give something you type credit. Until then you really don't have anything to do other than post nonsensical information about products you have no experience with do you? :D It's like comedy relief to see what kind of garbage you can regurgitate on the intardweb. Wait, I know, I should go get some Grade 100 chains and have them custom built by a company in south america for rally cross because lord knows that's what I'll need. lol Those chains on the tractor trailer I used to ride in were replaced so many times in the thousands of miles that got put on it because they got loose, oh wait, they didn't. That's right because I was smart and used extreme duty rubber bungee's or metal springs to pull any slack out of the chains and retain tension.

You probably didn't even do any research on this product or the RUD product did you? :roll: It doesn't surprise me one bit that you didn't. It's ok, your lack of knowledge is still funny to me.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:19 am

blink32 wrote: You probably didn't even do any research on this product or the RUD product did you? :roll: It doesn't surprise me one bit that you didn't. It's ok, your lack of knowledge is still funny to me.
Lol, no I didn't do a lot more 'research' on these Blink after I saw in the installation video that the kid didn't know how to put on this set of chains, that told me enough about the company selling the product. :lol:

Hope your photo doesn't get anyone thinking that forward wheels are the correct mounting for driving chains. :roll:

Last edited by Gray on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:29 am

On Grade8 trucks they use chains all the time in the western states. I see them use rubber bungies to keep them tight after the mile of streching. Ive seen when I lived out west trucks and cars diving up to 40mph with chains. Personaly I like to use cables with plastic wrap on the side walls. I think the cables work better.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:20 am

Greybrick wrote:Hope your photo doesn't get anyone thinking that forward wheels are the correct mounting for driving chains. :roll:
Ahh yes, you should never ever have any traction at all on a tire that is supposed to provide forward momentum or control direction. :roll: Again, you're posting more nonsense. I personally hope no-one reads anything you post and takes it for legitamite information. Let me run out make sure the world knows that they should put chains only on the rear, un-powered wheels of their FWD vehicles. Oh wait, you'll come back and say "but but but, I meant when installed on a RWD vehicle". Hrmm, I guess if I only had one set of tire chains I would only install them on the driven set of wheels, but with two sets why not put them all around to control all aspects of traction?

Crawl back under your bridge troll. Or not. :lol:

Captain, I too prefer cables when dealing with cars. They end up being easier to manage.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:23 am

blink32 wrote:
Greybrick wrote:Hope your photo doesn't get anyone thinking that forward wheels are the correct mounting for driving chains. :roll:
Ahh yes, you should never ever have any traction at all on a tire that is supposed to provide forward momentum or control direction. :roll: Again, you're posting more nonsense. I personally hope no-one reads anything you post and takes it for legitamite information. Let me run out make sure the world knows that they should put chains only on the rear, un-powered wheels of their FWD vehicles. Oh wait, you'll come back and say "but but but, I meant when installed on a RWD vehicle". Hrmm, I guess if I only had one set of tire chains I would only install them on the driven set of wheels, but with two sets why not put them all around to control all aspects of traction?

Captain, I too prefer cables when dealing with cars. They end up being easier to manage.
Have a look in your owners manual Blink. :roll:

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:25 am

Ahh yes yes yes. Because we all know that the Manu's are spot on every aspect. :roll:

I got a meeting troll. You can get me later. Some day you might have some real world advice to add. But probably not.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:35 am

Captain caveman wrote:Ive seen when I lived out west trucks and cars diving up to 40mph with chains.
Yeah, when one has chains on, along with the rest of the traffic, the only option you have is to go the same speed as everyone else. Any slower and there will be problems. I've seen it so often on I-80 and the smaller highways-some yahoo behind you wants to go faster so they pass, or at least try to pass. Usually there's so much crap between lanes that these idiots lose control. Or, especially on I-80, people will only be driving in the slow lane, so the passing lane just gets filled in with ice and snow. There are only a tiny number of roads in CA & NV that actually impose a mandatory chain requirement for all vehicles (2 & 4 wheel drive), but that's only when conditions & lack of snowplows warrant it.

Blink, how are you with clearance in the front? I know with the OME & larger tires that you are/were rubbing frame. Can you safely turn without the chains hitting anything? That would be my only concern, and it only came to me today after reading this thread again.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:30 am

On full lock it will hit the frame because my tires are too wide. And again at 1/2 turn it will bang into the inner fender liner I'm sure. I will probably attack it like Carl with the heat gun to gain that extra clearance. I got the Class S smaller chains designed for tight fitment specifically because I wanted to limit the interference.

Since these will be emergency/when required chains only I wasn't overly concerned with the thickness of the links or the interference issues. On a narrower tire there would be no issues at all either.

I did some low speed straight-line and all was clear.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:23 pm

blink32 wrote:I got a meeting troll. You can get me later.
Found a set of balls under that tail Blink? Flame away. :lol:

Just stop posting silly crap about poorly thought out emergency equipment plans. It's beneath an intelligent fellow such as yourself.

I can't wait for the fire extinquisher installation chapter.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:10 am

This is fun. If anything of what you typed made sense it would probably be an interesting Intardweb battle. You could at-least respect the board and make your new posts in the off-topic section, there we could battle and stretch our internet muscles. You must have the biggest because you say so!

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:20 am

Greybrick wrote:One true thing about chains is that the more you use them the more they stretch and eventualy become irreparable and unuseable. Those look like they'd get you up some ice hills a few times but I wouldn't depend on them to do a couple of hundred miles. Keeping chains tight on the tire and speeds to about 5 mph helps.

To help this argument, Graybrick out of this post can you please give me two links to sites that prove your post. about stretching and keeping it under 5mph ( not another forum were othere did the searching for you.) you do the searching.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:24 am

Greybrick wrote:
blink32 wrote:

Have a look in your owners manual Blink. :roll:

Graybrick, Not everything is the owners manual is allways correct. I find that working at a dealership you discover that the guys that made this truck can not do 1/2 the shit or 1/2 the brain as the techs that work on them.
I would love to meet the guy that designed the 387 Peterbilt :evil:

Return to “General Automotive”