Smelling fuel in the oil

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

ZeitGeist

Smelling fuel in the oil

Postby ZeitGeist » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:20 pm

94 Stock XE....Just checked the oil after it seems to be running a lil rough.
I smell fuel.
Someone suggested that maybe the fuel pressure regulator maybe be failing or one of the injectors is stuck open....Any thoughts? .....Thanks :?:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:29 pm

Both are possible. One common problem I used to see is that the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator would split at the end and fall off of the nipple on the regulator. This causes the fuel pressure to run at maximum pump pressure to the injectors. The regulator is at the back of the engine, close to the firewall. Reach behind and make sure the hose is intact. A fuel pressure leakdown test would be needed to test for a fuel injector leaking down. You may also want to check the O2 sensor if it has a lot of mileage on it, or even replace it.

ZeitGeist

Fuel

Postby ZeitGeist » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:37 pm

Thank You for the reply. These vehicles seem to rely heavily on all of the hoses being in proper condition. I am going to replace all of the vacuum lines with neoprene grade as well as any other hoses/lines. If this doesn't cure the problem I will look to the regulator and a leak down test....Thanks again.

ZeitGeist

makes sense

Postby ZeitGeist » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Your reply makes sense as it failed Ohio E-Check for running rich. They recommended replacing the plugs which I will do after fixing this issue.
This is a 141k mile vehicle with one timing belt replacement...not sure about the O2 sensor....

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”