spare tire question

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

leadpig

spare tire question

Postby leadpig » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:15 pm

So I finally got around to doing the air bag install today, and gave myself some room under there by dropping the spare. First time I've ever done that so the first time the spare has ever been pulled out to my knowledge. I replaced the stock longtrails some time ago but kept the spare. What I found were pronounced indentations in the sidewall where it had been pressed up against the body. Anybody else see this? Have a look below. Looks like something I wouldn't want to trust, I'm thinking I have to find a cheap tire quick before I head off on a road trip across hot roads of the desert southwest with the kids next weekend.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:04 pm

Prob won't be an issue esp for a spare tire but if you don't feel comfortable about it pick up a cheep tire in your size to replace it.

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:49 pm

Mine was the same way.
I think it'll be fine so I wouldn't bother since it's a spare. Usually a spare is only driven a short distance to get to a tire shop any way. Only real way to prevent this would be to start doing 5 tire rotations regularly.

Also him from Clovis! Where are you out of?

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:57 pm

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:55 pm

Thanks guys. I have silent armors on the other four wheels, wasn't about to buy five of those suckers! Doing a 5-way rotation would mean mixing tires, so that's out. In thinking about it more I guess even though it's dented the tire itself has never been rolled on. Makes me think that is less of a risk than some half used tire of unknown history, so I guess I'll stick with it.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:56 pm

porksoda wrote:
Also him from Clovis! Where are you out of?
Las Cruces

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:25 am

New Mexico people, nice. :D

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:06 am

I check the pressure in the spare every few months, and rotate its' position a little so it doesn't press on the tire in the same place each time.
Also, when cranking the spare back in place, I avoid excessive tension on the tire, chain, pulley mechanism, etc.
It's a good idea to keep those components clean, free of sand & mud.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:43 am

Hmm, I've never pulled out my spare tire as well. It maybe a good idea to check on it.

The spare tire doesn't have TPMS right? So doing a 5 way rotation would be bad right?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:01 am

FLiPMaRC wrote: The spare tire doesn't have TPMS right? So doing a 5 way rotation would be bad right?
Right. Just a black steel rim too. If you wanted to do a 5-way rotation you'd probably want to add a matching rim with tpms. Not worth it at all in my book.

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:45 pm

I just installed my Airlifts 2 weeks ago, and noticed I too have those marks exactly as yours. And while I was pumping the airlifts, I figured I'd also pump air into my spare. After a thorough washing of my spare, some of the marks were gone.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:16 am

So I took the vehicle in for the regular rotation and balance, and asked about the spare. They checked it and said it was not a big deal, so I put it back up. I'll try to remember to drop it once in a while and spin it around.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”