1995 parked since 2011. Getting it back on the road.

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Xrdstv

1995 parked since 2011. Getting it back on the road.

Postby Xrdstv » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:12 am

I just bought a 1995 from a friend of a friend. Its low miles (150,000km) and has beed parked in a garage unused for 4 years. Properly serviced and not abused.

For the past 10 years, it was used very little. The battery will be replaced before i start it. I checked all fluids and they are clean.

So! Any suggestions as to what should i check, do, lube, replace, kick, tap, or otherwise ensure that i wont damage anything before heading out of the city and to where all pathfinders should be?

Thank in advance for your help,

jaialife

Postby jaialife » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:28 pm

Check all the bushings if you are able to. Ball joints, upper and lower. Make sure all the joints looks dry and no grease are leaking from the joints.

I just got a 95 path low miles and those were the first things i was advised to check. Steering etc.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:52 am

Couple things I would do right away is (1) replace the timing belt/tensioner/water pump/front cam and crank seals/thermostat/drive belts. The timing belt should be replaced every 6 years, regardless of mileage, as it can dry rot and this is an interference engine. While in there, it only makes sense to do everything else. (2)Replace the tires. Sitting is the worst thing for tires as they need to be driven and "flexed" to keep their elasticity. Also, tires have a life of about 6 yrs.
A general inspection would be in order. Replacing the battery makes sense. Fluids may be clean, but I would still service all of them, including the brake fluid. Suck the fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir with a turkey baster or similar tool and install fresh brake fluid, followed by bleeding all of the lines thoroughly, using the proper sequence listed in the service manuals; many Nissans bleed right-rear, left-front, left-rear, right-front, but double-check to be sure.
Drain and fill the transmission fluid, but do not use Dexron III/Mercon. Use Nissan-matic Type "D" ATF or an aftermarket synthetic recommended for Type "D" application, such as Valvoline Maxlife ATF or Castrol Transmax J Multi-import ATF.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”